cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running 32 bit software on 64 bit W7 Professional?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Running 32 bit software on 64 bit W7 Professional?

A friend of mine in the USA is trying to run a 32 bit software on 64 bit W7 Professional.... it loads up ok... but needs to access the COMPORT via a USB converter... and it cannot find the COMPORT number... he has been given instructions as to how to find it on Control Panel > Device manager >  but it doesn`t show...
I have suggested he tries to use a " Compatible Mode"... ( like "run this prog in compatible mode with XP "... ) or something, but I don`t know how to suggest he does that in W7 Professional 64 bit... or even if it can be done...
The program is NOT a windows/microsoft program  it is CWCOM from MRX software.... ( Morse over the internet )..  http://www.mrx.com.au/d_cwcom.htm
Any advice or instructions would be appreciated, please.
6 REPLIES
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Running 32 bit software on 64 bit W7 Professional?

Running 32 bit software on a 64 bit system usually works, however device drivers must be 64 bit.
The bit causing the problem will be the USB/COM driver,  they'll need to obtain a 64 bit version of that.
Assuming that's available, it'll create the COM port that the CWCom software requires.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

I suspect the problem relates to the USB convertor software and driver
Note I have a COM/USB convertor running on my  Win 7 64 bit system and it uses or need a 64bit driver -see picture
A word of warning - I allowed Windows to update the driver and that stopped it all working so I had to roll it back
However to run the program in compatibility mode right click on the shortcut and select properties  then compatibility
Fixes: 80

I have two devices which use virtual com ports one of which didn't work too well until I downloaded and installed this virtual Com Port software http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/pages/usbtouartbridgevcpdrivers.aspx
You can chose from a 32 bit or 64 bit installation.
Incidentally the device that has always worked fine uses the same software as in the link.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

WOW !... Thanks guys... I will send him the linky to this thread, and he can probably sort himself out from that....
Much Appreciated... Thanks...
Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Oldjim
Note I have a COM/USB convertor running on my  Win 7 64 bit system and it doesn't use or need a 64bit driver -see picture

C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\ser2pl64.sys - that is the 64bit driver.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

Oh dear - wrong again - will correct  Embarrassed