Did you mean: 

Rugged Tablet PC

journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Rugged Tablet PC

Has anyone any experience with xtablet T7000 or T8700 as seen here
http://ruggedpcreview.com/3_slates_tabletpc_mobiledemand_t7000.html
I'm looking for a rugged field device that has GPS included and will run a PC mapping application.
This looks OK, any comments would be appreciated
4 REPLIES 4
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Rugged Tablet PC

Very interesting piece of kit..... not cheap though...... about  £1,216.75p at current exchange rate
Have done a bit of "googling", but cannot find anywhere that actually sells it ! ! !...  Undecided
Be3G
Grafter

Alas tablet computers are generally very expensive, as are rugged devices… so put the two together and the price tag is never going to be pretty.
The only thing I can suggest – and I know this probably wouldn't be sufficient but I'll mention it anyway just in case – is an iPad with an OtterBox Defender. (The 3G iPad models include a GPS chip.) I know you said journeys that the tablet needs to run PC mapping software, but for what it's worth a couple of vendors of such software (Memory-Map and RouteBuddy) do have iPad versions, so if the software you need to use isn't too esoteric it could be worth investigating.
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@Shutter, Be3G Thanks your comments, much appreciated, very good point on the Ipad
I had considered the Ipad, but have been informed it does not run PC emulation mode very well, I want to run a piece of software called Mapinfo with its add-on Vertical mapper allows me to build 3D virtual model starting from a blank sheet but include Aerial Photographs as a background. Memory-Map and RouteBuddy are good Sat Navs but (please correct me if I'm wrong) lack the ability to allow the user to build his own map layers of tabular data for specific coordinates.
One supplier in the UK is MobileWorxs http://mobileworxs.co.uk/T7000_Tablet.html
I could always revert to a GPS and paper Notebook!, then enter the data 'back at base' but the 'tablet' will allow me to check results as I go along.
Be3G
Grafter

Alas I don't know that much about Memory-Map and Routebuddy, though I know enough about the former to be able to tell you that it's not satellite navigation software; rather, it's designed for people to load maps such as those provided by Ordnance Survey or the USGS and then plot routes over those. One can also purchase aerial photography for use in it, but I'm afraid I don't know anything about layered data.