cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routerstats 7.0 and Sagecom 2704n Router ( adsl )

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Routerstats 7.0 and Sagecom 2704n Router ( adsl )

I have been using the Thomson TG582n router, for a few years now... I have got a Sagecom2704n, (issued as a replacement from PlusNet a couple of years ago.. )...

For the past couple of days. I have been having quite a lot of interrupts to my Broadband, and have always run Routerstats to check on connectivity, and SNR and Download speed.  Up until a couple of day ago, it has been "rock solid"  ( except for the very very, occasional disrupt ). at snr 6 and speed around the 6 meg mark.

Getting a bit cheesed off today, with on/off/on/off/on        off/on/off/on  connections, I decided to dig out the Sagecom 2704n... and see if I could get it working.... Yes... indeedy... it does connect...

However.... I cannot seem to be able to configure Routerstats 7.0 to show me the line stats/info that the Thomson did.

I know that Routerstats is "old"... but it has been recently updated to version 7.0. 

I did see a list somewhere, of all the routers that could be used on Routerstats, but cannot remember where ! .

Can anyone supply the linky?    Can anyone suggest an alternative to Routerstats, that would do the job that Routerstats did for me  ?  Please  ? ? 

26 REPLIES 26
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Routerstats 7.0 and Sagecom 2704n Router ( adsl )

Fix

@shutter Link to RouterStats/RouterStats Lite as requested:- http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1  Thanks for the linky.... just the job.... Sagem 2704n is listed for SKY and Orange.... hope that it is the same for PN !..

Downloaded Routerstats Lite.. and see if it actually works....

jab1
Legend

Let me know how it goes, @shutter Thumbs_Up

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1 Despite trying to set up "other router"  incl the stats page.... Routerstats7 and Routerstats Lite neither want to "get page" of stats for the Noise level or Speed settings. 

So , the answer is... NO...it don`t work with Sagem2704n Plusnet version... 

UNLESS.......   you ( somebody ) knows different, and can give me a step by step instructions. Thanks

jab1
Legend

Sorry it doesn't work, @shutter, but that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. There seems to be a concerted effort by all ISPs - not just PN - to ensure that the end-user has no way of monitoring their connection, no doubt so they can deny a problem exists and the EU has no way of getting evidence to challenge this 'claim'.

The only way of getting round this, sadly, is to purchase a modem/router yourself that does support monitoring software, and use that at all times, only using the ISP one if they insist they can't help 'because we only support our own hardware'Ticked_off.

Your only help maybe   @Baldrick1 but I have a feeling he will merely repeat what I have said.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1  Yeh,... it`s a shame...but... really, it "should" work... cos there are three other sagem2704 versions listed,.. two vor SKY and one for Orange... as mentioned...  plus a whole range of others..

The Plusnet version seems to be a bit different from those listed..  I am going to try and send an email to the author of Routerstats, and see if he is still adding newer routers to the listing.

The Thomson TG582n DOES work on Routerstats...  and... as I am still expeirencing  off/on/off/on/off     connections I think I will go back to the Thomson one, and then when I can get on Live Chat, see if anyone at PN towers has been playing around with the wires and soldering iron ! ..

It`s very annoying, and frustrating. as I am normally ON the internet almost all day long from 0730 to midnite....

Perhaps @baldrick could look into it for me  ? ? ?  please  ? ? ? 

jab1
Legend

I can't get too deep into another possibly complicated discussion just now, @shutter, much as I would like to see how this pans out, but I'm on my way to friends down in your locality on Wednesday for my 'winter break', and I probably only spend about 5% of the time on the lappy down there that I would at home.

Those 2704N variants you mention have been in use for quite a while and predate the 'nobbling' currently being carried out by a number of ISPs, so yes RS (or RSL) will work with them.

I know the Thompson works - that's my current (and back up) hardware, but if/when those two fail, I'll be looking for a third-party replacement, I won't give the 2704N house-room, because (1) it is too locked-down for my needs, I like to keep a constant unobtrusive watch on my connection and (2) the reported Wi-Fi capabilities are insufficient for my requirements.

I'll just keep a watching brief on this, but if I have any bright ideasFunny, I'll try and post them.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Sorry but I can't help. I understand that Plusnet nobble the 2704n by installing their own very basic firmware. I've had a quick Google search and can't find any pointers to flashing different formware that would work. If it was me I would buy a router that is compatible with Routerstats Light off Ebay.

Whilst I use a Business Smarthub 6 I keep my old Asus N55U in case I need to run Routerstats. As I'm on fibre I have to run it in WAP mode with a Huawei modem but before I upgraded it worked very well on ADSL. However I read now that the latest firmware is incompatible with Routerstats.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that, @Baldrick1, you've confirmed what I thought the cause/situation was, and my advice to @shutter with regards to the router itself.

John
shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1 & @Baldrick1  Thanks very much for both your inputs.... Much appreciate the time.  I dunno whether it is the router that is the problem,... as I was still getting the disconnects with the SAGEM router as well... so probably a line fault... Been connected for about 20 mins now... on the Thomson router.... so may leave it running all night, with routerstats 7.0 and routerstats lite both running graphs... just to see what happens overnight ... never done that before...

If it is OK.. I shall see if I can get on Live Chat first thing, to see if there is anything showing on PN end of things, that the line has a fault...

I bought the Thomson off ebay, when I found out the SAGEM did not work on Routerstats... so maybe I`ll track down another one... it has been a stable router for me... and I am only a cable length away, even on WIFI..

Cheers to both. Wink

shutter
Community Veteran

@jab1 & @Baldrick1  Just to update you,..... Left the laptop running all night, with both routerstats versions keeping an ear on things.... As expected... a perfectly good trace on both for the SNR level around 6 and the line speed at just under 6 megs.... no drops in connectivity... so. it would seem that the router is "good"... and that there was someone "fiddling around" all day yesterday, with the wires.

There is green box at the end of our street,.... about 100 yards from the house,... but nobody was sat on their little stool, tinkering away..

Here`s hoping that it remains 100% . !

Thanks, to both, again, for your input..

cheers

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shutter wrote:

... and that there was someone "fiddling around" all day yesterday, with the wires.

There is green box at the end of our street,.... about 100 yards from the house,... but nobody was sat on their little stool, tinkering away..

@shutter

Or maybe your problem was caused by a REIN or SHINE source which has now gone away?  Wink

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If the Thomson router works for you then I would certainly consider getting another 'just in case'. I grabbed a second identical router when a bargain cropped up on Ebay. It sits ready set up in its box ready for service. If I do need to switch off the router for any reason I tend to swap them so that both see some service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Yeah, I think that will be a good idea !!!!... All night ... solid connection at SNR6 and just under 6megs.... this morning.. no problems... since 12:45 until now.... been trying to get logged in... pages seem to be taking 3 to 4 mins loading... the little ball going back and forth on the top left corner ( firefox ).  also long delay using I.E... and also OPERA.... tried to get on Live Chat... did the entry stuff, and waited for someone, then it just disappeared, and said thanks for contacting us... HUH  ? ? ? 

Rebooted the Thomson.... just in case I could get another pipe... and it doesn`t seem to have made much difference..  kinda working now,... but with fingers crossed...

Here is a pic of the graph, last night

DISCONNECTION ON ROUTERSTATS.png

The blue line is the "noise margin".... downlink.... and the green line is the noise on the "uplink" 

Here is the Late evening overnight starter .....

noise margin Monday evening overnite.png

Here is the overnight run from 0300 to 0900

noise margin Tuesday during night to 10 00.png

here is the latest ( current ) screenshot... (note the times )

noise margin Tuesday 1300 to 1400.png