cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers

victorhoy
Dabbler

Routers

Anyone using Asus DSL-AC68U ADSL/VDSL  or DrayTek Vigor 2860N VDSL/ADSL? Just wondering which one would be better. I have use the Draytek before on adsl and had no problems with it. Just wondering if the Asus (cheaper) is good/better than the Draytek for normal home.( wireless tv, bluray, laptops, 3 gaming comps, tablets and mobiles. At the moment I am using the BT HH5 but it keeps dropping wireless.
11 REPLIES 11
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Routers

There have been a few issues like this where the Asus fails to connect on ADSL, and there were some stability issues with it on VDSL2, which may have been improved by subsequent firmware updates.
thunderer
Grafter

Quote from: victorhoy
Anyone using Asus DSL-AC68U ADSL/VDSL  or DrayTek Vigor 2860N VDSL/ADSL? Just wondering which one would be better. I have use the Draytek before on adsl and had no problems with it. Just wondering if the Asus (cheaper) is good/better than the Draytek for normal home.( wireless tv, bluray, laptops, 3 gaming comps, tablets and mobiles. At the moment I am using the BT HH5 but it keeps dropping wireless.

The Draytek's are very good, I've got an 2850n which I've just taken out of service for a while & replaced it with a Billion 8800AXL, the Billion has the edge for being a bit more user friendly than the Draytek, however the Billion doesn't have the range of the Draytek which has external aerials.
I did consider the ASUS unit, but I wasn't sure if it needed a modem to be attached or not, so I chose the Billion unit instead, which I knew wouldn't  need the external modem.
If you were to ask me if I would/will swap back to the Draytek, the answer is probably because it's a better unit, but the all round user friendliness of the Billion is a real bonus.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the billion kit does seem to me to be long term decent, ive had a fair range of different makes in the last few years (mostly as secondary routers) and despite some of them apparently being "better" based on professional reviews I cant say I found them to be.
never found the BT hubs to be up to much, but like most "free" kit they are limited in the number of devices they will allow to connect on the primary LAN.
also billion sell companion kit for their routers so you can get a WAP unit that's simple to setup (although like most of their kit its not cheap) and works all the time / personally I opted to get half a dozen home plugs and just went wired Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nanotm
but like most "free" kit they are limited in the number of devices they will allow to connect on the primary LAN.

Nonsense - Source?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Up to 253.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pwatson
Rising Star

Actually it's 252  Wink  A fair point though that 'free' routers are very limited  Grin
nanotm
Pro

Actually most of the free routers have a fall over limit for primary lan devices, rather than this being coded into the firmware it's achieved by being equipped with under powered components, if you want exact numbers for different isp's provided routers then feel free to look them up, most of the information is not on the products info pages but rather hidden in tech support forums......
pwatson
Rising Star

Balderdash as I thought....
As usual I suspect you've read something technical and misinterpreted it.  Routers don't generally fall over due to too many devices on the LAN but may well have problems with maintaining lots of PAT mappings.  Not the same thing!
nanotm
Pro

who cares why they fail to accommodate enough clients, the simple fact is the majority of "free" routers cannot cope with more than a handful of devices being used simultaneously, the old standard idea that only the most dedicated tech geek would have more than 4 devices went out the window with the advent of smart phones and tablets....
they are limited by something and then start to act up then fail, some are limited below the failure point (a certain isp used to allow only 2 wifi or lan clients on their router which they insisted was used for the connection despite the fact if you bought the exact same router from the shop you could connect up to 20 clients without problems) if you need a decent router with good stability for a large number of client connections your better off buying a decent third party one.
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: nanotm
simple fact is the majority of "free" routers cannot cope with more than a handful of devices being used

Majority?  Again, source?  
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What is the nature of the limit?
Is it Wifi?
Number of NAT routings?
Size of routing table?
DHCP failure
DNS problems  Cheesy
etc...