Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Routers

Sadly, last night my faithful DG834PN died....  Power supply OK, it appears to have popped a couple of capacitors, when I took it to bits. Shame, as it was on a record for me of over 700hrs of sync and PPP connection with no drops at all.... 
Currently having to use my phone as a wireless hotspot on 3G/3G+
Anyhow, need a new one, and wondered that people are currently using reliably on ADSL2+.  All we do, is surf and stream really, no internet gaming or need for complex port forwarding etc etc....
My area should also be getting FTTC mid next year, so dont want to spend a fortune as such....  What are the Plusnet supplied ones like, do they do the job, or are they a bit cheap.....  Needs to be reliable, as i am not in the house most of the time, and SWMBO is very non-teccie, so it just needs to work.
11 REPLIES 11
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Routers

I recently pick up a S/H DGN2200 from ebay for £20 as a stand-by for my DG834 which is "getting on a bit", seems OK.
bobboulby
Grafter

I’ve been thinking of getting a backup router for my faithful old DG834G for some time and the DGN2200 looks to be just the job. One question though, have you used the USB storage option? I was thinking that it would be a good way to centralise backups on our network without the expense of buying a dedicated NAS.
Bob
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks guys
I have been leaning toward the DGN2200.  I do like the netgears, as until it died the Dg834Pn gave me faultless performance.  Also the 2200 appears to let you have more than 1 wireless network, perfect for my wifes DS, as it only supports WEP security, and I really dont want to switch my main wireless network to WEP.
Can get new on Amazon for 50quid.  Will try fleabay first off though...
Cheers
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I`m using the "current" (?) router as supplied by Plusnet... Thomson .... never had any issues with it for about 18 months now, (can`t remember when they issued it)... cost me the postage, for a comitment to stay with PN for 12 months or pay for it.... have only used PN supplied routers........ OK... so two have failed, ( over 6 years )  but a phone call to PN customer service and a 12 month comitment and a new router was in the post 24 hours later. ( cost of postage )...
My internet usage is not much different from the OP.... just a few music videos, no gaming... email and info surfing...
MJN
Pro

Penfold,
Have you considered anything from TP-Link? I'm currently looking at the TD-W8968 - it's fairly new so not much on the review front however its siblings seem to be be rated competitively.
Particular attractions for me are its support for IPv6 and also the ability to change a LAN port into a WAN port (i.e. bypassing the ADSL modem) hence it won't become redundant should I ever upgrade to an FTTC connection. The USB function could be handy for either remote storage or even a 3G backup (I'm not sure I really need that to be honest though).
Mathew
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: bobboulby
One question though, have you used the USB storage option? I was thinking that it would be a good way to centralise backups on our network without the expense of buying a dedicated NAS.

Yes have used the USB option, works a treat, although one of my USB disks has a 'sleep' option when not used for a while. Have not sorted out how to get that USB disk to wake up.
The WD 'my passport' portable drives work well.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well went for the Plusnet supplied one in the interim,due to the fact we have spent alot over the last couple of months, and really just needed something quick to get me online again....  I have noticed its not as good at holding the line as my netgear, had 3 line drops today, for no apparant reason.... Syncs have been fine though. Netgear could hold on for weeks++ , but attenuation is 3dB lower!!!
Gives me time to research and find a good one, anyway.
shutter
Community Veteran

You will need to let the PlusNet router "settle in"... for about 2 weeks, so don`t be too miffed by line drops to start off with.... My replacements always needed this settle down period, but have bee rock solid with a line speed of about 6 megs and that is by a wireless connection to the router.on a hard wired extension from the main BT socket.
You might want to give "routerstats" a try, if you get lots of line drops....
(its free)....
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Seems to be settling in nicely now.  Over a day and a half with no drops.  It even held onto sync at 0.2dB.  Frankly I was amazed at this...... Web-browsing is a little sluggish at times, using wireless, even though it says its connected ay 65mbps.
Anyhow, for just over a fiver, cant complain ;).  If I need anything better, I will put my hand in the pocket....
bobboulby
Grafter

I've been "watching" a fair few DGN2200s on eBay but they've all been going for around £30 including postage. Last night I finally picked one up for £21 so hopefully it will be with me by the end of the week.
Bob
shutter
Community Veteran

@ Penfold..... Presumably you have got the PlusNet router settled in nicely now, as we don`t see any further postings from you  ? ?