Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers when not in use?

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Routers when not in use?

Just idly browsing through some of the other forums, and noticed a comment by Samuria, that his router is switched off overnight.
I've never thought about this very much at all, and never usually switch mine off (it doesn't actually have a switch, so when occasional rebooting is required I just unplug it's power supply)
It's a D-Link DSL G604T. it's status light flashes all the time, which I assume is correct. Should I turn it off or not when not in use?
While on this, is there any advantage to be made by upgrading this fairly old router? which otherwise for all intents and purposes seems to work Ok.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
21 REPLIES 21
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Routers when not in use?

Quote from: petlew
Should I turn it off or not when not in use?

No don't turn it off.  Your speed may drop.  Wink
While on this, is there any advantage to be made by upgrading this fairly old router? which otherwise for all intents and purposes seems to work Ok.

No, save your money.  Smiley
James
Grafter

I suspect that Samuria does this for reasons of either his electric bill or concerns of overheating.
I've always kept my router turned on overnight and have never had any issues in doing so.
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: tdadyslexia
No don't turn it off.  Your speed may drop.   Wink

Rubbish! I turn my router off every night when I turn my computer off, it always resyncs at the same speed when I switch on again next morning.
The only time your speed will drop is if you keep rebooting it frequently.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you cycle your router too often, BT will decide that your router is having trouble sync'ing at it's current rate. Your speed will be reduced to allow a successful sync to take place...
How often is a frequent reboot?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

petlew
Pro

Not sure what is "frequent" but on average I probably have to do an involuntary reboot once a fortnight, I'm never really sure why.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil

How often is a frequent reboot?

If you cycle your router too often. Grin
jazz
Grafter

I turn my router off every night when I switch off my computer.  A reboot once a day is not a "frequent reboot" and does not affect your speed at BT.  When I used to keep my router on 24/7 I often experienced "noise" and a reduced SNR about 4 or 5 am which caused my synch rate to fall and my profile to be lowered.  By switching off at night I get a slightly higher IP profile and I save a tiny amount of elec.  I don't ever leave any other elec items on standby and don't see any reason to leave my router on standby either.
holdtight
Grafter

I dont turn my router off at all its on 24/7 every day of the year, i think the only times its been powered down is when ive cleaned the dust from and around it or when ive tested another router on my line
I dont suffer any heat problems from mine and i believe the electricity usage to be negligible considering everything else thats running in my house
When i look around its not a very green and environmentally friendly place at all  Embarrassed may well have to do something about that soon
God
Grafter

Quote from: Hobo
Quote from: tdadyslexia
No don't turn it off.  Your speed may drop.   Wink

Rubbish! I turn my router off every night when I turn my computer off, it always resyncs at the same speed when I switch on again next morning.
The only time your speed will drop is if you keep rebooting it frequently.

*Looks at router without on/off switch* Obviously there must be a subtle difference between turning your router off and on and rebooting it, cant say I know what it is though. When I reboot my netgear router it appears to go through the same startup and self check as if I had just whipped the power lead out of the back and stuck it back in.
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: God
*Looks at router without on/off switch*

Funny coincidence that, my Netgear also appears to be missing an on/off switch, maybe it is as well there is a switch on the socket it is plugged into. Smiley
Though I have thought to leave it on for extra warmth as the nights are getting chilly in my cardboard box. Grin
petlew
Pro

"When i look around its not a very green and environmentally friendly place at all  Embarrassed may well have to do something about that soon"
Cor!! could we have environmental/green debate...luv a good row...

God
Grafter

Quote from: Hobo
Quote from: God
*Looks at router without on/off switch*

Funny coincidence that, my Netgear also appears to be missing an on/off switch, maybe it is as well there is a switch on the socket it is plugged into. Smiley
Though I have thought to leave it on for extra warmth as the nights are getting chilly in my cardboard box. Grin

Oh I see! Bleeeedin’ posh are we? Your cardboard box has accessible plug sockets does it? No scrabbling around on the floor for you then? You lucky lucky lucky lucky bar steward! Come the revolution you will be the first... Oops Sorry that wasn’t me, my lad JC got hold of the keyboard.
James
Grafter

[OT]
I'm fairly certain that you're pushing for a part in My Fair Lady.
[/OT]
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Kids, eh? Tchuh.
[me=orbrey]rolls his eyes[/me]