Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers and modems

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Routers and modems

What routers/modems do you all use?  What routers/modem do you want?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
26 REPLIES 26
paulby
Grafter

Re: Routers and modems

I'm currently using a Draytek Vigor 2800 coupled with a Linksys wireless AP and a VigorTalk VoIP ATA.
I suppose I'd upgrade it to the new 2820 if I had some spare cash.  I'd also go for the one with built in wireless and VoIP to save the box count!  However, no real need to upgrade ATM as it all works just fine.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I have a netgear dg834pn, and i want anything but this. I hate it Sad
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
lingbob
Grafter

Currently using a SpeedTouch ST546v6 and I wouldn't swap it for anything else!
Regards .....
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Speedtouch 585v6 - only problem is that with the later firmware DMT is partially blocked
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Netgear DG834GT. Very happy with it.
hulls
Grafter

Belkin F5D7632  and very happy with it generally, apart from having to reboot it every few days for some reason.  The only thing I'd like on top of that would be a voip phone connected to it.  Then I might use it more.
John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I've got a Netgear DG834GT on one line and a FRITZ!Box Fon on another.  Both have served me very well.  I've set loads of Netgear DG834's and always liked them.  I've delt with a few belkin routers and never been keen on them.  One was already dead when I got to it (6 weeks old), one was dead on arrival, and one worked, though the netgear I tried on the same line got much better performance.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

BT Voyager 210, supplied by PN with BBYW Option 1.
It's not fancy, and does as much as I currently need it to do, as I have no need to work wirelessly or make phone calls via VOIP. Never tried anything else, but might be tempted to change if it would improve speed significantly, or if I could determine if it was responsible for the speed fluctuations (and occasional failures to sync) I experience with my connection.
As a bonus, it provides supplementary heating for my cold study, although on reflection, I would prefer something more energy efficient.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
jazz
Grafter

I use a Netgear DG834GT and have always been very happy with it.  My previous router was a wired one - another Netgear (DG632) and I was happy to stick with Netgear when I went wireless.
zubel
Community Veteran

I'm also a Netgear Fanboi.  However, I would recommend everyone steer clear of the DG834PN.
However, after seeing some of the 2-wire kit..........  I may be converted.. Smiley
B.
God
Grafter

I’m using a Netgear DG834N which seems tip top. Now if that sexy looking Belkin N1 Vision thingy was also a modem I might be tempted if offered one... But actually I think I am probably a Netgear Fanboi as well.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I stick to Netgear such as our DG834G. Had 2 Linksys WRT54G's fail on me.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

BT Business Hub ( aka 2wire 2700HGV ). Superb piece of kit, except that you need to persuade it away from BT ( as its supposed to be locked to BT Business broadband) . Once thats done it hangs on to the DSL connection like nothing else ( even on long/noisy lines ) never needs rebooting and runs nice and cool. Even has 2 voip ports , but again its a bit fiddly to configure them since they are supposed to work only with BT.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Njal
Grafter

Draytek Vigor 2800, with a Speedtouch 546 as a spare. Both are nice solid black boxes, and seem to hold a connection down a piece of damp string (or at any rate down the weedy telephone extension cable that snakes under the lounge carpet, up the stairs and into my study). The Speedtouch runs a bit too hot for my liking, I think it could do with a few more cooling vents, but the Draytek is nice and cool.
Regards,
Neil