cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router with decent Wifi ?

onlyme4
Dabbler

Router with decent Wifi ?

I'm looking for router/modem that has a great wifi coverage, to replace a BT homehub 5 on my Plusnet FTTC connection.

I was initially looking at a Homehub 6 but now have mixed feelings about this having seen reviews of the TP Link AC1600 or the TP Link AC1200 that can be bought for only £15-30 more than a HH6. However, I have no idea if these give a better (wider coverage) wifi signal than the HH6 ?

The only 'must have' for the new router would be that it has great wifi coverage to reach some remote parts of our house that suffer from a poor signal currently (don't want to install a wifi extender). I'm thinking there must be loads of Plusnet users on this forum that have figured out the best router for wifi coverage ?

Interestingly, my neighbor just moved to Talk Talk. I don't know what router they've given them, but I get a better wifi signal from their router in my lounge that I do from my own HH5, when I'm sitting right next to it !!

10 REPLIES 10
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Router with decent Wifi ?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes and I just lost my reply Angry

Oldjim
Resting Legend

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/modem-routers/talktalk-super-router-review-3625746/

As a modem router that comes as part of TalkTalk’s fibre broadband package, the new 802.11ac Super Router is a substantial upgrade over its 802.11n-only predecessor, although not so much if you already have TalkTalk's first 802.11ac router. It’s manufactured by Chinese electronics giant Huawei and is a reengineering of that company’s HG633 model, loaded with custom software aimed at making the setup process as straightforward as possible.

and it appears that there are better ones although not cheap

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/talktalk-hg633-super-router

Using the 5GHz band, this router maxed out at just 21.3MB/sec, which compares to 60.1MB/sec for the next slowest AC router I’ve tested. In our two further tests the router managed 9.3MB/sec (5m away, with two walls between the router and the Wi-Fi receiver) and 9.6MB/sec (7m away, with two walls in between and a floor down). Again, these figures are dwarfed by the next worst on test, which managed 37.8MB/sec and 13.5MB/sec.

Moving to the generally slower 2.4GHz band and the difference is more modest, as even the fastest routers can only hit around 20MB/sec. Nonetheless, the HG633 managed only 7.6MB/sec, 6.2MB/sec and 4.7MB/sec; the next worst recorded 11.9MB/sec, 7.8MB/sec and 6.8MB/sec.

talktalk-super-router-hg633-6-1talktalk-super-router-hg633-5-1

But you would need a separate modem as the ones in the table aren't FTTC capable

Oldjim
Resting Legend

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Good to see you back in peak form @Oldjim with your research and evidence lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

WiFi coverage is a "dark" art - what works for one person may not work for the next. There are no guarantees on coverage. Ultimately you'll pick a router and hope for the best!!!

Brian

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Excellent presentation @Oldjim   

Presumably those figures and distances are " in the clear "... i.e. no brick/thick walls, or steel girders between the transmitter and receiver .

The O.P.   (  @onlyme4   )  should take  that into consideration  for his most "difficult" wifi reception areas of his house..

( must be a BIG old house to have such difficulties ! ! ! )..

Wink

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think there is only a limited supply of the hardware chips that go into routers.  So routers from different manufacturers may contain much the same innards although they might still have been put to more or less effective use.  Conversely, different models of router from the same manufacturer could be quite different.  I wonder if the search for a magic router with WiFi that reaches the parts of the house that other WiFi cannot reach is a search in vain?  Possibly there is a whole range of different routers with little to choose between them on WiFi performance?.

onlyme4
Dabbler

So, it sounds like there is no definitive great router for WiFi coverage. In that case the choice is probably between a homehub 6 (that supposedly has good WiFi) a TP-Link (£60-80 model) or WiFi extender ?

Any thoughts on whether a TP Link Archer would perform better than a BT HH6 ? Not sure what exactly I mean by 'perform better' I guess I mean WiFi as strong as or better than a BT HH6 and perhaps a more stable platform (heard that some HH6's reboot every couple of days)
BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've recently bought and fitted the HH6 Business Edition and it's working really well.

Dual band, MIMO and a seemingly decent wifi range (I'm in an average 3 bed house with 2 internal walls max.) With the Business version you can edit DNS settings if so inclined.

I do also run a Powerline Wifi extender so I can hardwire my PC in an upstairs office and have an additional wifi point.

Can't comment on any other routers but for £33 delivered, the HH6 has been really good.