cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router showing connected but no Internet.

shushyb99
Hooked

Router showing connected but no Internet.

My laptop is connecting to the internet with no problems - however our desktop PC which runs on Windows Vista and uses a Netgear N600 wireless adapter has no internet connection. It says it is connected to the Plusnet router but there is no internet.  It isn't the Netgear adapter as my friend who lives in the property below me very kindly let me try to connect to his network and it worked without any problems.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Router showing connected but no Internet.

Moderators Note.

I've moved to thread to tech help as your broadband is working ok.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Farrinaf
Grafter

I would suggest as a good first step you confirm basic network connectivity ...

I am not running Windows so this may be a bit out of date but

Launch a DOS command window (try start run and then type cmd

In DOS window that opens type

ipconfig/all

Screen will fill, so carefully scroll through and it should show (hopefully) what local ip address has been allocated to your desktop which will probably be something like 192.168.1.* where * is a number.

It should also show the IP address of your router (which may be described as the default gateway, dhcp server or dns server) probably something like 192.168.1.1.

Next step is to see if you can get a response from your router so

In DOS window type

ping <address of your router/default gateway>

eg

ping 192.168.1.1

You should get a response confirm connectivity (which means your desktop is talking to your router)

Then try Googles DNS servers

ping 8.8.8.8

If you get a response this means traffic is routing via your gateway to the internet

We then need to confirm that DNS is resolving (ie convert a domain name into an ip address)

Again in DOS Window type

nslookup bbc.co.uk

You should something like this (wont be the same as this is a Linux box)

casper@ghost ~ $ nslookup
> bbc.co.uk
Server: 127.0.1.1
Address: 127.0.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: bbc.co.uk
Address: 151.101.192.81
Address: 151.101.64.81
Address: 151.101.128.81
Address: 151.101.0.81

Suggest you report back your findings (screen shots would be helpful but dont include anything confidential.

Cheers

shushyb99
Hooked

Thanks for your suggestion. I've managed to enter the commands in the DOS screen.

However I can't seem to copy the screenshot to this message window so I've attached a copy below.

I'm not really sure what the dos screen information means apart from the fact that my previous provider Virgin Media is showing against the server information. All the previous Virgin cables/connections/router have been removed and replaced by the Plusnet router.

Please let me know if there is there anything else you need to know.

Thanks for your help.

Farrinaf
Grafter

Hi

Unfortunately the picture you have posted is incomplete, so it does not give the full story. It does confirm a few things.

I think later versions of Windows allow you to more easily copy stuff from a command prompt window, but with you using Vista which is a bit ancient ….

Rather than reinvent the wheel see here

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/copy-to-the-clipboard-from-the-windows-command-prompt/

Your router’s internal IP address appears to be 192.168.1.1 and is responding to “pings”

You likewise are able to ping the external Google’s DNS servers so that is good as well.

I am somewhat baffled as to why your desktop is using Virgin Media servers for DNS lookup (I wonder if your desktop DNS settings have previously been manually set), but on the positive side it has resolved the bbc site name for you.

This sort of long range troubleshooting can be somewhat hit/miss and be a tedious process of elimination. To try and provide a better picture of your setup, I wonder if you could advise/try the following.

Is the configuration of your desktop unchanged from when you were using Virgin media and did it function normally until the switch over to PlusNet ?

When you say your “Netgear N600 wireless adapter has no internet connection.” I presume you mean a web browser fails to load (what browser/version(s) are you using?).

When you say

my friend who lives in the property below me very kindly let me try to connect to his network and it worked without any problems”

Do you mean that you successfully connected via your Vista desktop using your Netgear wireless adapter to his (encrypted ?) Wifi network and were able to browse the internet etc. entirely normally ?

Could you provide full details of the response (see above for copying information from dos windows) from running the following instructions at a windows command prompt

ipconfig/all

and also

tracert google-public-dns-a.google.com

Thanks

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@Farrinaf wrote:

I am somewhat baffled as to why your desktop is using Virgin Media servers for DNS lookup (I wonder if your desktop DNS settings have previously been manually set),

That has to be the explanation.  In which case, perhaps something else has been manually set that is just plain wrong for the new configuration?