Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router set up

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Router set up

Hi guys
Currently i have my router plugged into the Master socket which is connected to a 5 metres adsl cable. Its set up this way because i dont have powerplug and not a convenient place to have it. Ive read its best to to have it connected as close to the Master socket. If i hardwire a extension to the socket and bring it close the router which i could use a shorter adsl cable will that acheive the same result?
Excellent!
4 REPLIES 4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Router set up

The ideal is to plug the router directly into the master socket.

You should use a ethernet cable - you can buy single Cat 5E patch cables with pre-installed end plugs very cheaply.

Don't make any really sharp bends and you won't suffer any signal loss as its a digital connection (not analogue like telephone wire).

If you have more than one non-wifi device, consider buying a ethernet switch for about £15.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I’m assuming that you have a 5m dsl (RJ11) cable between your master socket filter and modem/router. This is preferred, especially if you also have any telephone extension cables. If you have any extension cables connected to the master socket then for best performance you should fit a filtered faceplate on the master socket and wire the extensions to the phone output. No other filters are required on the extension wiring.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If I understand correctly, there is no power near the master socket and you are thinking of replacing a 5m dsl cable with a short dsl cable and 5m extension cable plus socket. If so, there is unlikely to be any benefits in terms of speed, though CT1308 is twisted pair, but you will have added two connections - both ends of the extension cable - to the route and, hence, two extra "points of failure".

Whilst that is an "extreme" view, I would not change anything unless there are other requirements - eg cosmetic.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks guys for your helpful comments.
Excellent!