Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router's again!!

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Router's again!!

My elderly but trusty D-Link DSL-G604T router has suddenly started to give intermittent cutting out problems, that seem to be to do with overheating. So I thought it time to replace it with something a bit more up-to-date, so purchased a Linksys WRT54G Broadband router (good price as an end-of-line sale price) and immediately ran into connection problems; my old router connects using an Ethernet cable and a straight forward phone plug and socket (the PC has built in Ethernet) the Linksys setup instructions keep on referring to a Broadband modem (which I haven't got) I suspect that some kind of "dongle" to convert the standard phone jack plug to the Ethernet socket in the Linksys is what's needed, can anybody confirm this please, and suggest the right dongle (if there's more than one)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
9 REPLIES 9
HPsauce
Pro

Re: Router's again!!

You've bought the wrong thing I'm afraid.  Sad
Send it back if you can for a refund.
(It has no broadband modem in it, it's just a router)
paulby
Grafter

As HPSauce has said, you've bought the wrong thing.
The model you've bought is for use if you've already got a separate modem with an ethernet output(such as a cable modem or this ADSL modem).  You need to buy a router with a modem built in (such as this).
petlew
Pro

Oh bleep!! Thanks guy's

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
petlew
Pro

Delighted to say that Staples were more than happy to accommodate my stupidity and exchanged the Linksys broadband router (lucky me!!) for a Netgear DG834G ADSL router (£10 more) which compared to the previous D-Link was a synch to set up -except it didn't like the power/adsl/Ethernet leads being connected in the wrong order (I added the power first) before set-up- it also supports WPA2-SPK encryption security (and several higher levels, that didn't seem to apply to my home system) I don't know whether it's to do with the new router or the old one, but a speed test was the fastest I've yet seen for a while.

Not applicable

Netgears are a favorite amongst many around these parts.
I have one ready to replace an aging DSL-G604T - its only a matter of time before I sort it. Wink
James
Grafter

Nice pun, Petlew Smiley
petlew
Pro

Well spotted jameseh....er! so well spotted I haven't seen it myself yet...

Denzil
Grafter

I think he meant this, (my italics) Roll_eyes
Quote from: petlew
which compared to the previous D-Link was a synch to set up
petlew
Pro

Ah well, Oh yes, indeed well spotted, I wondered how long it would take before it was noted ahem!! Is that a pig I saw flying past?