Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router remote access

KenA
Grafter

Router remote access

Hello,
I'm planning to install a new broadband circuit and I will need to be able to manage the router remotely from the internet.
I already do this at one place with a Netgear DG834G which allows me unrestricted management access from a pre-defined IP address (my home IP address), and it will also email me logs daily.
If I am correct, I think that Plusnet provides a Thomson 585.  I'm planning to put in a new broadband line at another location, and I also need to be able to manage the router remotely.  I need to be able to access it at will, and I cannot expect a LAN user to log in a enable access for me.
Can someone let me know whether the Thomson router will do both these things which the Netgear one allows?  I can't find an online manual which describes remote management.
If it doesn't, would Plusnet supply a Netgear router instead?
Thanks
KenA
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Router remote access

You need to use the CLI ( telnet access) to setup remote assistance
Download the CLI manual from the link on this page https://beusergroup.co.uk/technotes/index.php/Thomson_TG585v7.
I think the command is 'system ra config' but as I dont have a 585 you will need to check.
HTH

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulby
Grafter

You can do it from the Web GUI by enabling remote access (under "Toolbox").  You get a choice of temporary or permanent.
It's worth noting that the 585 will only allow "permanent" access until it's rebooted when you'll need to set it up again.  It will also only allow access to the first remote IP address to connect until it's rebooted (i.e. you need to remote access from the one location with a staic IP  until you reboot).
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You can do it from the Web GUI by enabling remote access (under "Toolbox").  You get a choice of temporary or permanent.

Sorry if my info wasn't quite correct, but I couldn't find that in the user guide. The only reference I could find was in the CLI guide.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulby
Grafter

@MisterW
It's not in the user guide so no probs! 
The user guide is very limited and the GUI isn't the easiest to get around.  There is on-line help built in to the router but it's not the greatest!
KenA
Grafter

Hello
Thanks for the responses.  As one of the sites doesn't even have a PC the Thomson would not be any use, there would be no way to re-enable remote management at all.
So - Plusnet, would you supply a Netgear instead?
Thanks
KenA
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: KenA

No. they only supply the Thomson.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

They replaced my Thomson with a Dlink Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

James
Grafter

Quote from: KenA
KenA

Ken,
I'm afraid not.  We only ship Thomson routers.
KenA
Grafter

Hello James,
Thanks for the response.  So, perhaps you will give a discount if I sign up a new service but supply my own router?
Best regards
Ken
James
Grafter

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.
You are perfectly entitled to either receive a router from oursleves, or to source your own.