Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Specs for Fibre

OshB5
Grafter

Router Specs for Fibre

Hello everyone
I seam to have got my knickers or brain in a twist LOL with regards as what I should be looking for in a router to go with plusnets fibre as opposed to the one that would be supplied? Iv not actually put in the order for Fibre as yet but want to be ready with all ectra kit as soon as I do hence looking for a router first.
I understand that the engineer will come and install the "modem" to which the router will then connect? "How" do the connect is it by normal cat5? and if so which port on the router will the modem connect to? I read somewhere that the router needs to have a "wan" port So does the modem connect that port?
If so when searching for the router What do I have to look for in the router specs? Is it one with a wan port or is it one for cable connection or what. .
Simple because the ones iv been seeing and then subsequently been asking about have been the wrong type? Lips_are_sealed
The other couple of questions I would like to ask
What make of router would you go for and is there any make to steer well clear of?
And finally once the order for Fibre has been made and a date has been booked for the engineer to call do you lose any service from your standard broadband till your fibre broadband is up and running and if you do How long would you say you are roughly without it?
Thanks Osh

3 REPLIES 3
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Router Specs for Fibre

Questions, questions
I suspect you are forced to take the supplied Plusnet router(?)
The BT modem connects to the WAN interface on your router with an ethernet cable.
You connect your local stuff into the LAN ports.
You will only lose broadband at the actual install time - whilst the wires are being moved around.
Daytime - so you might not notice any downtime.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

OshB5
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for the reply so a decent ADSL router that has a WAN port fitted?
I already know I at least want it to be of gigabit quality and N wireless and possibly 600 but at lest 300 rather than the 150 that is supplied?
Im looking for a router and also  looking for a NAS at the same time for the new set up Fibre setup so it can be plugged into the router so have a central storage all being well
Regs Andy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You want a router that isn't ADSL (or at least one where you can bypass ADSL).
The BT modem performs the equivalent function (VDSL -> ethernet).
You could use the supplied router, in conjunction with a gigabit switch.
(The internet connection won't be more than 76 Mbits).
High speed routers are expensive.
The switch could handle high speed local traffic.
A separate access point could be plugged into the switch.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."