Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router - Regular disconnect & reboot then very slow wifi

Malc10
Dabbler

Re: Router - Regular disconnect & reboot then very slow wifi

Baldrick1

Is this what you mean about Synchronising? 

Point web browser to 192.168.1.254.

Hit Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted

Continue to Advanced Settings.
Tap on Wireless.
Choose 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID'
Save the changes.

If so I only have one question - Is it necessary to change the SSID name? If so how & why please. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Malc10 

You earlier said that you were getting 27.8 Mbps by your TV. That is more than enough for your Now TV Stick. This suggests that your wireless signal strength is varying, possibly due to a neighbour using the same channel.

After you separate the two bands if you follow the instructions then everything will connect to the router on the 2.4GHz channel as the SSID of this will be unchanged.

To give you some background the 2.4 GHz band is the older legacy band and you will find that everything will be capable of using it. The good thing about it is that it can be used over a longer distance from the Hub. The downsides are that it's not as fast as the 5GHz band and there's fewer channels that you can practicably use. This means that if you have a close neighbour using the same channel they can interfere.

The newer 5Ghz band is faster but has a shorter range. However there is far less congestion on this. You will find that some older devices do not have a 5GHz wireless unit so not all devices can use it.

Having separated the bands you need to see what sort of performance you get with each device connected to the 2.4GHz band. You can then go into the device available network settings where you will find the new 5GHz band, that's the SSID ending -5 and try that. Use whichever performs best.

If neither works well the only other thing that you can do is try another channel on the 2.4GHz band. To do this log into the router and in the wireless settings change the channel selection from auto to manual. This will probably only be of use on the 2.4 GHz band where you need to manually select either channel 1, 6 or11.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

2.4GHz is much better at going through brick walls.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1

@Malc10 Sorry I had missed your latest post over the page. Yes this is the instructions to use. You must change the SSID so that you can choose on your devices which band to use and to stop your devices getting even more confused.

All you do is separate the bands, select the 5GHz band SSID and add -5 to the name.

Moderator and Customer

Stringman
Dabbler

Baldrick1
First of all thanks very much for your input and in trying to address peoples’ issues. You’ve got the patience of a saint!
Just wondered if you had any more thoughts on the issue I originally raised which is a combination of new, recent dropouts accompanied by a speed reduction?
While I await contact from Plusnet it occurs even more to me that my problem is theirs to resolve, rather than me faffing around with router band settings and the like. I say this because my problem started suddenly - one day all was hunky dory and the next I have daily dropouts and slower speeds. Nothing at all had changed at my end to bring this about.
(I’m not sure if Malc10’s problems started in the same manner - quickly and without obvious reason) or if his has been a problem from the outset). Cheers, Stringman
Malc10
Dabbler

@Stringman 

My dropouts were, and still are, random & without obvious reason.They also started “just like that”  as they say.

Malc10
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Thanks. Changing the SSID might be the difficult bit for me. I take it SSID  is the technical name of my television and other WiFi equipment etc.? As you can probably tell this is where I go “you what?” Ha ha.

Stringman
Dabbler

Thanks for that Malc10. So it seems our issues aren’t so dissimilar.
As you probably picked up from my previous message, I’m personally reluctant to mess around now with settings for a router that was behaving perfectly ok only a few days ago.
Baldrick1

@Malc10 

It's still worth separating the bands and see if it works any better with just the 2.4 GHz connected to your devices.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Stringman 

Because your issues may be the same as @Malc10  doesn't  mean that there is definitely a common cause.

Moderator and Customer

Malc10
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

Thanks pointing me in the right direction re SSIDs. Just one point of clarification “select the 5GHz band SSID and add -5 to the name”. I haven’t started yet but how do I know which SSID appertains to which item? And do I just type -5? 
Apologises but I’m not used to doing this sort of thing and am liable to muck it up.

Thanks for your assistance, appreciated.

Baldrick1

@Malc10 

When you get in to the settings you will find two tabs, one labelled 2.4 GHz the other 5 GHz. Yes, just select the SSID and type -5 on the end. 

Do not worry about getting things wrong, you can not damage anything.

In the very unlikely case that you should screw the settings up so that you can no longer connect to the Internet all that you do is insert a paperclip or similar in the small hole that you will find labelled reset. You press the paperclip in and will feel a switch. Keep the switch closed for 20 seconds or so and the Hub will reset itself to the same settings as when you first had it and reconnect. This takes a few minutes so be patient.

Moderator and Customer

Malc10
Dabbler

@Baldeick1,
Thanks for all your help. I have gone in and changed everything to 2.4 GHz and everything seems a lot faster. The apps and Now TV on my television also appear to be faster and better.
The Now TV stick, whilst using the television USB port was slow in connecting and the signal strength was poor. So I have used their mains plug and the signal became fair. Happy days. However, since changing everything to 2.4 the signal has gone back to poor. Maybe I will disconnect and re set it up to see what happens. Job for another day.
Thanks to @Stringman, you Baldrick and everyone else who has helped me through this seemingly easy task. Hopefully I am now sorted. If not like Mr.Schwarzenegger said “I’ll be back”.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You can monitor wifi signal strength from place to place with a phone app.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Stringman
Dabbler

Malc10, Baldrick1 et al...............
As dubious as I was I’ve also separated the bands in the (vain) hope that it would a difference. Regrettably it hasn’t made one iota of difference to my gross reduction in wifi speed so I’ll revert to the default Hub One band synching. I suppose this does lend credence to my original suspicions that the fault lies beyond my router to somewhere in the Plusnet system.