cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Recommendations?

WTF
Grafter

Router Recommendations?

We're struggling to get a signal to the further reaches of the house using the standard Technicolor 582n (non-fibre) router.  I used a tool recommended on the PN support pages to check for interference from other networks and that doesn't seem to be much of an issue so I think I just need a router with a more powerful radio .. but given I know absolutely nothing about networks or routers, I could easily be wrong.
I've looked at a number of reviews and I'm struggling to work out which sub-£100 routers are going to give me a decent increase in range.  They're great on which router is fastest but not so hot on which router works best at a distance.
In my ignorance, I'm not sure what information would be needed to make a recommendation, but my BB set up is pretty much vanilla (I certainly don't know enough to have changed anything) and we use a variety of hardware (Mac, PC, iOS and Android) that's up to 18 months old.
Please could you suggest some options for routers?  I'm currently considering a Netgear DGND3700 N600 .. solely because the review I read mentioned a decent range.
11 REPLIES 11
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Router Recommendations?

Anything but Linksys lol. They're repeatedly being mentioned in the press for being hacked.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
cajef
Grafter

I have been using a DGND3700v2 for nearly twelve months, at first on ADSL2+ and since last July on an FTTP connection , it has been very stable and never dropped the connection, I have a detached bungalow and it is positioned in a room at the opposite end of the property from the lounge with ethernet connection to my desktop and using wireless to a laptop, notebook, tablet  and smart TV in the lounge, I have good strength wireless signal and reception all over the house using 5Ghz band including in a conservatory at the far end of the property.
WTF
Grafter

Thanks, guys
@Hobo - that's pretty much my situation: router at one end of the house and the lounge at the other .. sounds like I somehow stumbled on the right router for the task  Shocked
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

or you could buy one of those homeplug >wifi extender kits, if the router itself isn't problematic,
having a more powerfull router might fix the problem but it might also "not work in certain conditions"  like bright sun or really cloudy and doors are closed
so in my experience its often simpler and cheaper to just get homeplug style extenders, certainly when there on offers and under £30 including delivery Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Put the router at one end of the house,
put a cheap switch and an access point (for wireless) at the other.
Join with cable or homeplugs.
You can then have wired and wireless access at both ends of the house.
This will also work with fibre.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

LukeAger
Grafter

If you have the ability.. I changed from a Tg582n to a Cisco 877W recently and expected to see a drop in the wireless range however It has significantly improved. My network now reaches so far that I am now worried its range is TOO far lol. You can get them pretty cheap off ebay...
They also come with a GUI so you dont have to use the command line to use it.
steviebaby1
Dabbler

Hi.
I am in kind of a similar situation regarding using my Netgear router to join Pusnet. And am struggling getting my head round all this connecting stuff, and will maybe get into difficulties wireless wise if I make a hash of things. I note that one of the other guy's in here is using a Netgear router with no issues. Can you Please take a look at my post here and see if you can offer any help > http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125944.0.html
Thanks very much, and I'm sorry for the thread partial hijack.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Or.... You could try this.......

and report back if it works ! ... Wink
steviebaby1
Dabbler

Not too sure if that was meant to be sarcastic, or just a joke shutter, but either way I did not find it funny.
I, along with others came in here looking for help, not put downs or sarcasm.
If you can't offer any help then refrain from posting instead of clogging up the thread with rubbish.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you are in a position to replace your little stick aerial with something more elaborate, you will get a stronger wifi signal.
So neither a joke or sarcasm.
Live and learn...
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@ steviebayby1.....
My post was a serious attempt to help you with a suggestion that you could try.... however. if I see any further requests from you, I shall definitely ignore them
Glad you found it funny.  Lips_are_sealed