cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router (PlusNet 2704n) technical question (WOL)

Justin76

Router (PlusNet 2704n) technical question (WOL)

Hi All,
Due to the lack of competences of the PlusNet support team, I'm posting this technical question here.
No one at PlusNet could answer me as apparently they don't know the products they are selling.
Anyway, I try to setup Wake on Lan on my machine.
Everything is setup properly, but it seems that the magic packet never reach my machine.
- Is there a way to check when a magic packet is arriving ? (on a powered ON machine just for test)
- Does this router support that Wake on Lan feature ? (WOL)
Thanks,
Justin
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Router (PlusNet 2704n) technical question (WOL)

Since I no longer use that router I can't be sure but I thought mine did from sleep until I disabled it
I did have the network card set to always stay on while in sleep mode (Windows 7)
Justin76

Hi Oldjim,
Thanks for your answer;
Yes I did setup everything on my machine (BIOS, Network card, Windows etc)
I also forwarded the port I want to this machine.
That is why I'm questioning the capabilities of that router now...

Thanks,
Justin
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I don't normally use that (unusable) device, but inserting it between a switch and the target PC blocks WoL packets - I checked the normal configuration worked first. I often have to send two packets, but it failed with 10 packets.

Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you tried disabling the router firewall as it would appear that you are trying to wake it from outside the LAN and the firewall may well be blocking unsolicited packages
Justin76

I've setup the port forwarding;
I found that Depicus has a nice sniffer software to check if the packets arrive well :
https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-monitor
I can see the packet ; and can wake up my machine when it's on sleep but not when it's powered off.
So to answer my question: Apparently yes, this router forwards magic packets.
I'll investigate more my settings regarding waking up the machine from power Off.
Cheers,
Justin
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

bios settings for WOL are important if you want the link to remain active at all times and allow magic pattern to switch it on from cold then you will defo need to mess about with it
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Justin76

I will double check my BIOS;
But now it seems to work;
It doesn't work when the machine has been turned off after some time. I guess it is because my IP was dynamic; I set it to static; will do some more tests later.
Also, something that the PlusNet support didn't tell me:
The router is a Sagem 2704N and you can access some more advanced settings here :
http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html
That's really a shame from them not to say that. I can now check my router ARP table....
Cheers,
Justin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

It doesn't work when the machine has been turned off after some time.
The 'magic' WOL packet is sent to a MAC address rather than an IP, since the machine is not on at this point in time and therefore doesn't have an IP. The router forwarding is probably done via IP and as long as the ARP table has an entry it will work. Once the machine has been off for some time it's likely that the entry is purged from the ARP cache. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: MisterW
The router forwarding is probably done via IP and as long as the ARP table has an entry it will work. Once the machine has been off for some time it's likely that the entry is purged from the ARP cache. 

Agreed:
If there's a setting in the router to "always use the same IP address" that may help preserve the PC's entry in the routers ARP table. Better than using a static IP address in the PC.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

what motherboard is the computer based on ?
it might well be that it has a bios setting which allows the lan port to remain active (for WOL) at all times regardless of the pc's state which in turn would keep it with an active entry in the arp cache
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
bales1983
Grafter

Havent got that router but does it support the broadcast ip? 192.168.1.255? If so then if you forward port 7 or 9 to that ip it should in theory broadcast to the whole connected network but only the one with the correct MAC would wake.
Lee
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Justin76
The router is a Sagem 2704N and you can access some more advanced settings here :
http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html

Top man!
Interestingly Chrome wouldn't finish opening that page but seamonkey had no problem.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

7up, there are other threads on this Hardware board where that and other information has been available, I'm surprised you haven't spotted them Wink
There's one or two lurking on the Fibre and ADSL boards where there are some of the issues and unfortunately few resolutions mentioned.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I rarely frequent the fibre or adsl boards... unless i have a problem!
I mainly use (down to rarely used):
Chit Chat
Hardware
Software
Hosting and Domains
Email
Fibre
ADSL
Thats it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!