cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router/Internet Problems

MedTerrace

Router/Internet Problems

Since starting to work from home on Tuesday, we've had persistent issues with out internet connectivity. While the wifi connection to the router remains fine, periodically throughout the day some or all our devices will lose internet connection completely, which is only rectified by turning the router (Hub One) off and on. During this the light on the router remains blue.

I phoned plusnet support who did a line test that came back fine and then changed some settings to try and help, but problem has occurred since. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Router/Internet Problems

@MedTerrace  although I do not "work from home".... I am connected to, and use , the internet all day long... from 0800 to 2300 ... I have a rock solid connection, and over the years, with plusnet (almost 13) have not had any real problems with dropping connection...

Yesterday, sometime between 10 am and noon...the line must have dropped out... ( we were out at the time) .. and when I logged in on the internet.. it would connect for a few seconds before dropping out, and trying again... after about 5 minutes... I decided to re-boot the router... pulled the mains plug... left it for 5 minutes and it re-connected... since then , it has been solid again..

( I am on ADSL2+ with a Netgear 834G ( old  tech ) router/modem)  I use a program called "routerstats lite" to keep an eye on the noise level and connection time...

It may, of course, have been something to do with how many others are working online , from home....

miketree2

I have recently added a number of new devices to my network. I have 30-40. Recently various devices have problems intermittently.

Have you recently added devices?

I understand these routers run out of memory when a lot of devices are used.

MedTerrace

We have recently added a new device or two to the network, but still only have 4 or 5 connected at a time.

MedTerrace

Still having problems a few times a day, with the added quirk that if it occurs while in a video call/meeting the video call will stay connected and be untouched seemingly indefinitely, but attempting other "new" actions (opening a webpage) will fail due to "no internet connection".