Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Help..

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Router Help..

Apologies if this has been asked before, can seem to find a thread.  I have 2 routers, a very elderly 585V6, which gave good service, till the networking went south on it, and a 2wire 2700HGV. This was bought second hand off E-bay.  Recently I have had some serious line issues, which are hopefully now resolved, but the 2700, has the most recent BT firmware on it, which is reported to be a bit flakey, so I have decided to buy a brand new Router, but unsure of what to get. I use Wired and Wireless (Wired is to the Main desktop system, via a couple of homeplugs and a switch). Line is a little long, attenuation is around 43-45dB, and cutrrently I get around 7000 Down, 850 Up, at a fixed 9dB margin, as per Daves DLM trial. I was going to go for a Netgear DG834G, but the V4s are now defunct, and not sure about the V5s, as they dont have the broadcom chipset.... (Also seems the DG834GT is also defunct).  Dont need alot of advanced features, such as VPN and port forwarding etc etc. Just need a good router thats good and stable on longer lines.  Is the PluNet supplied TG585V7 any good? or can anyone suggest any others.  Price range to around £55, but I am flexible if its a good router.
Cheers
7 REPLIES 7
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Router Help..

One hears a lot about the 2700HGV, and rightly so - but, at least on my longish line, the 2Wire 2700HG-B (non-BT badged) is even more stable, and syncs at a higher speed.
They appear on eBay fairly regularly, but look carefully, as some sellers seem to confuse the two models. They generally go for a cheaper price than the HGV.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Denzil
Grafter

I use a 2700HGV, and they are generally recommended for getting the best out of long lines. Most people use the SingTel firmware in these things, so it might be worth reflashing it. Read this and make your own mind up. There is some risk to reflashing, but if you were going to chuck it anyway...
You could also try just buying one with the SingTel firmware already installed. Plenty on ebay. Consider also Billion Bipac, I haven't tried one myself, but they are reputed to be good on long lines.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the reply chaps.  I really wanted to buy a brand new one, with warrenty.
jack21
Grafter

The DG834G V4 appears to be still available here:
https://adsl24.co.uk/store/adsl-modems-routers/adsl-wireless-routers/netgear-dg834gv4
...tho I'd advise phoning in and confirming its the V4 model - I would not recommend the V5 model.
And I'd very firmly recommend the V4 model.....one of my top 3 (out of 60+) - the other 2 in the top 3 are 2700HGV and Billion 7300A/7300G
Denzil
Grafter

I think the 2Wire routers are only available from BT Broadband in the UK, and then only to their own customers.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks chaps
I have heard good things about billion routers, but was n ot sure which one to get.  As said, the 2wires are excellent, but cannot get them new, and also I was unlucky to buy one that had been upgraded to the most recent BT firmware, and its impossible to flash back....  Did want a netgear, but the V5 does not use the broadcomm chipset, and not heard anybody raving about it either. Will research the Billions.
knewmans
Dabbler

I have a Billion 7800n. Once I sorted out my internal wiring its been as solid as a rock.