Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Advice Needed

thesign
Dabbler

Router Advice Needed

Hello Everyone,
Right now I have a 4 port (wired) linksys AG241, this has been a good router but no longer suits my needs (more computers, static IPs).
I am looking for a wired ADSL router with 6+ ports that can also point my 5 static IPs from PN to different computers on my network (sorry, I don't know the correct tech term for that :P). If I could find something similar to the linksys I have right now, but with the extra features, that would be great.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks Smiley
4 REPLIES 4
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Router Advice Needed

Keep the router, add a  5 or 8-port switch.
PS The tech term you don't know - It's called routing, that's what routers do. Yours too, most likely.  Wink
MrC
Grafter

As HPsauce says you can add an additional switch to connect more devices. You can use NAT forwarding to direct ports or ranges of ports to specific devices on your internal LAN - a quick check of the user manual for your AG241 shows it's under Applications & Gaming. Or you can disable NAT altogether and just let your router route, although there are some security implications which you need to be aware of here.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

http://ask-leo.com/whats_the_difference_between_a_hub_a_switch_and_a_router.html
Should explain what you need (except that they don't make hubs any more as switches can do a similar job).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: thesign
Hello Everyone,
Right now I have a 4 port (wired) linksys AG241, this has been a good router but no longer suits my needs (more computers, static IPs).
I am looking for a wired ADSL router with 6+ ports that can also point my 5 static IPs from PN to different computers on my network (sorry, I don't know the correct tech term for that :P).

Are you using public static IP's on the AG241 at the moment and if so how have you configured the router?