Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Round Pin (three pin) plugs

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Round Pin (three pin) plugs

I have a requirement for about 10 of the (very) old style 5amp round pin (three pin) plugs and sockets..  I have found them available on Screwfix site, however, I am wondering if any of the forum members have some kicking around in a box under the bench in the shed, or in the attic. If you have any, please contact me, to arrange a mutual price including postage.  Wink
11 REPLIES 11
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Round Pin (three pin) plugs

Given the postage rates for even small packets these days at well over £1 I very much doubt you'll beat buying them in one batch from Screwfix. Undecided
(probably got 1 or 2 somewhere..)
shutter
Community Veteran

HPsauce
Thanks for the info about Screrwfix.... have ordered some plugs and sockets from them... Wink
Purleigh
Thanks for the linky to ebay/... will keep that in mind.  Wink
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

These are the kind of items that turn up at car boot sales in a box under the table. 
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I used to use them at school - they were part of the theatre lighting rig, and I was head of lighting (as a pupil).  This was 11 to 15 years ago.  The larger 15A round pin plugs are still used as standard on lighting rigs today (despite a move towards IEC "kettle" type plugs), though I haven't seen the 5A version for a while.  At school, the 15A-female to 5A-male short adaptor leads were like gold-dust, as 15A plugs were fitted to all the newer lanterns (lights) and the suspended grid had 5A sockets.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: snozboz
The larger 15A round pin plugs are still used as standard on lighting rigs today.

Sure are. An old boss of mine took "early retirement" from being an FD in the corporate world and bought a company that made those rigs, mainly for theatres - a wonderful "craft" business with a handful of employees.
I last looked round his little factory a few years ago, delightful place and he was totally involved in it.
AlaricAdair
Champion

They still use the old British style round pin plugs in South Africa.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
shutter
Community Veteran

How much is the postage for 10 plugs & sockets from S.A.  ? ? ?  Roll_eyes Roll_eyes Grin
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dunno, but it was only 50p P&P (for 10) on my earlier eBay link  Roll_eyes
Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: snozboz
I used to use them at school - they were part of the theatre lighting rig, and I was head of lighting (as a pupil).  This was 11 to 15 years ago.  The larger 15A round pin plugs are still used as standard on lighting rigs today (despite a move towards IEC "kettle" type plugs), though I haven't seen the 5A version for a while.  At school, the 15A-female to 5A-male short adaptor leads were like gold-dust, as 15A plugs were fitted to all the newer lanterns (lights) and the suspended grid had 5A sockets.

I used operate a follower spot at the Pendragon Theatre, Papworth Everard, Cambs in the late 1940's and early 1950's. Our float and batten circuits had 30 amp round pin plugs and sockets (Strand Electric switchboard).
AlaricAdair
Champion

Contact these guys voltex.co.za ; or better yet I'll fly there for you and collect if you don't mind paying for a club class ticket on BA.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.