cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Root

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Root

There are a number of programs that allow rooting of your device but is there one that stands out above the rest ?

Can rooting your device have any affect on apps already on your device ?

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Root

Well I know my bank app (Barclays), warns you on a iPhone that it won't run on jailbroken ones.
No I haven't tried it Angel

I would imagine it would depend on the app and whether they have put something in to detect it. Persumably they could put a check in which would otherwise fail on a more restricted device, but if it then works then refuse to run.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Whatever device I'm messing about with my usual first port of call is to look on the XDA Developers forum here

Last device was a very cheap Nook HD+ which makes a nice standard 9" android tablet with a full HD display with the help of cyanogenmod

Not bad for £9Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

Things like banking apps, & android pay will not run on rooted phones.
As to specific apps to root, nope depends on the unit, somethings work on some and not on others.
Community Veteran

Yes if you can get hold of a cheap device running the same OS - it may be worth getting one and having a play, just for the fun of doing it and see how it is. Then test what runs and what doesn't and the difference.

If it is your main phone, I would hold off doing it in case it breaks something (i.e. banking Apps) which I guess as Apps go, most of us have to use and depend on them. Tongue

I don't know about Android phones as have never had one of those, and whether the root changes can be reversed easily should it not go well.

TheRoadCrew
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I've used Magisk on LineageOS 14.1 to use TSB banking app & Android Pay on a rooted phone I keep as a back-up.

Community Veteran

My advice would be:

Firstly what do you gain to benefit from it?

Yes it might be good fun and a laugh to do it, but otherwise.

If your bank apps stop working how much of a pain would it be for yourself, and then looking for solutions to make them work.

It it were me, I’d pick up a cheap Android test device and do whatever you want to it and don’t touch your main phone until you’re confidient it works in the way you want.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

When I first rooted my phone the objective was to get rid of junk and be able to fully back up and reinstall programs/data. Other things like the Nook it's to turn it into a standard android tablet and the Hudl get rid of Tesco.

As for some apps stopping working I've not seen that myself but I have seen some "roots" that come with an on and off option.