Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripping

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Ripping

Sorry to be back again on a similar topic, but I've just hit another brick wall.

Having installed and figured out Ashampoo Studio 2019, I have been attempting to rip a few discs - succeeded with two or three, but failed miserably with five.

All five of the offending discs are by the same artiste, on the same label. I can play them successfully through the CD/DVD played attached to my TV and through my radio/CD player, so there is absolutely no problem with the discs themselves.

When I attempt to rip them, however, Ashampoo successfully extracts the disc data, but freezes thereafter. One thing I haven't done is see if they will PLAY via the CD/DVD drive on the laptop, which I will try later when I get home, although I know other CDs and DVDs play OK on there.

Any ideas/suggestions in the meantime?

John
17 REPLIES 17
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Ripping

@jab1 

Is it possible that the CDs in question have some form of copy protection on them?

I remember years ago using software which could defeat that when ripping certain CDs and most DVDs at the time.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jab1 

It sounds that these have protection features intended to stop illegal copying. If you do a Google search you will find software to defeat copy protection. However some caution is advised to check that the software and the suppling source is clean of nasties. before proceeding.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@RobPN , @Baldrick1 I'm not at home at the moment, so can't test these discs in the laptops CD drive.

Thanks to both of you though - just watch this space after about 4PM - I should be back home by then. I have one of this artistes discs on my MP3 collection, so it appears they can be copied (legally), although I can't remember whether this was one that I did on this machine or one a friend did for me.

John
jab1
Legend

Got home a bit early, checked all these discs, and NONE of them will play on the laptop.

I seem to remember I had a number of discs which behaved in this way when I started to convert my collection to MP3, and thinking back, a number of them were from the same label (Warner).

As I am going to be spending Christmas with the person that successfully converted those I couldn't, I'll take them with me and get them done.

Thinking forward, as I will be doing more when I get them, would it be prudent to get an external CD drive (they're cheap enough)?

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jab1, you said in your previous thread regarding ripping that you downloaded software other than your current one, have you tried any of these to see if they can do it?

As for buying a new device you may want to have a look at this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C94QVHQ/

I bought one of these back in 2014 and to date its never let me down.

jab1
Legend

I haven't @Anonymous , but as I said above, for some reason my CD drive just doesn't seem to like Warner discs - looking back at my notes re the problems I had previously, 7 out of the 9 that wouldn't rip on my machine, but did on another, much older, one.

I don't think it's the software, more some weird incomparability between my drive and Warner discs,

Thanks for the suggestion of that drive, but it's a tad expensive for the use it would get - literally just ripping discs that won't play with my internal drive.

John
Baldrick1

@jab1 

It seems a bit odd that they won't even play. Have you seen whether VLC Media Player works with them? I have found that it plays most things.

I don't understand the external drive question, if you already have an internal one, why do you need another?

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend

Thanks for the reply, @Baldrick1 . To expand, if I put this disc in the drive, it will spin up and open WMP (set as default, at the moment), but al I get once the player starts, al I get is a 'click, click, click' - only with the Warner discs - others play with no problem. Therefore, I am I drawn to the conclusion that something (absolutely no idea what) in/on those discs is incompatible with my drive and even  VLC won't work. I could be wrong.

The reason for the question re: an external drive is to eliminate the internal.😉

John
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@jab1 If you don't own another computer and your present drive has been worked hard then it may need servicing. So a second drive would be useful.

Baldrick1

Fix

@jab1 

You might find this interesting, your click, click might be the same as the described loud pops every few seconds. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control

So maybe a different drive might work as this could be a drive dependant copy protection issue. 

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend

@daveplus I do have another machine, but the drive on this one works perfectly - as I've said above, it is only Warner Music discs which cause any issue. CDs on other labels play with no problem, DVDs play with no problem.

Thanks for the reply, though.

John
jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@jab1 

You might find this interesting, your click, click might be the same as the described loud pops every few seconds. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control

So maybe a different drive might work as this could be a drive dependant copy protection issue. 

Sounds a distinct possibility, as Warner are specifically mentioned in that Wiki, and all the discs I am currently trying to copy are copyright 1999-2006.

I'll see what happens when I am on my December break, my friend is a whiz on this sort of thing, and I'm fairly certain her laptops CD drive overcomes this frustration.

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@jab1 

Here is one I just searched on Ebay..

I have a "similar" one... that I use with my 10inch laptop... ( no internal cd drive )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/External-USB-2-0-DVD-ROM-CD-DVD-RW-Drive-Burner-Writer-Player-PC-Laptop-U...

Have a read of the "specs" further down the page... and . ( if necessary ) compare them to others on ebay....

jab1
Legend

@shutter Many thanks for that. I had done a search myself earlier, and seen that one, and couple of other 'interesting' ones.

As I can rip anything apart from (at the moment) the Warner discs which are obviously copy protected - illegally in the UK - I'm not that bothered just now. I will take them with me when I go away over the Xmas holiday and let my friend rip them, as she did for the odd ones I had problems with earlier.

I will keep it in mind though, should this become more of a problem.

John