Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right Click is slow to respond

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Re: Right Click is slow to respond

Quote from: Mook
What I object to more than anything is a vendors assumption that if they collect enough data on you they'll be able to target you with ads for stuff you want to buy. When I use google and I get results returned that have been paid for I never click on them. I simply note who it is and go direct.

See I've never understood this as it's self defeating.
Your computer, car, TV.. you knew about all of them because of advertising. The same goes with your stuff for hobbies.
At the moment i'm ordering various bits for arduino from various different places. Now there is no way i can know about every single component that exists is there and so i rely on adverts that know what i'm interested in to show me other bits i might be interested in. I actually prefer targetted adverts over random adverts because the random ones were nothing but a waste of my time. At least the targetted ones are actually useful. If that means they track my click and sale then so be it - they've found me something interesting and they get the data as a reward - thanks guys!
Do they know anything about me? No. They know i looked at that product range once before but they don't know who i am, where i live, what my health issues are, what i earn etc - they know none of this and so from my POV, i ido not understand the fuss about online adverts, cookies and etags. I especially don't understand how people see it as a threat of some sort - moreso than the authorities rummaging through peoples hard drives examining actual personal data  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@7up, re your last paragraph, the tracking cookies are embedded on your computer and get used to track all your online activity, that info is sent to the company, that information often includes things like what you purchased what address it was sent to and what payment method you used (especially if you typed that information into the website), the fact you used a partnership site affiliated with the advertisers means they captured all that personally identifiable data with your permission because you clicked on their advert....and they are now free to exploit that info, compare it with other captures about you and then sell the consolidated info to the highest bidder, the more times you use the service the greater the worth of the data and the more they know about you your habits and your health, because they explicitly have your permission to track you when making forum posts etc,
And big business is far more shady than some spooks looking to see if you're doing something wrong, big business uses the info to determine every aspect of"who you are & what you're worth" info they sell on to people like insewerants to set your premiums, service providers to determine your credit worthiness and so on.
I'd be far more scared about how that innocent seeming tracking cookie was being spun than some probably fictitious special agent from a foreign country was poking through your file system.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh no, I don't see it as a threat, not by any stretch of the imagination. My point was more about the assumption. Your Arduino bits for example, you decided you wanted to explore this (me too, I have loads of this stuff) so I suspect you made a conscious decision  to go and buy the original bits, and not as the result of an advert. From that stems the targeted adverts, fair enough. If you did buy it as the result of an advert targeted at you based on other sites and things you've done online you did exactly what was intended by the marketeers. And that was to buy something you didn't really want, because if you did want it, you'd have search for it yourself and not waited till an advert told you you need to buy this!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, if you stop to think about this whole targeted marketing (like I just have) it's nothing more than online psychology. Using the information they harvest from your online activity the marketeers can show you an advert for Product X, but not Product Y in the assumption that you will be interested in X because of your activities. Do you not think that's worrying?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: nanotm
@7up, re your last paragraph, the tracking cookies are embedded on your computer and get used to track all your online activity, that info is sent to the company, that information often includes things like what you purchased what address it was sent to and what payment method you used (especially if you typed that information into the website), the fact you used a partnership site affiliated with the advertisers means they captured all that personally identifiable data

You are right in that cookies can store your tracking code but there is absolutely no point in them holding your address, purchases, payment methods etc when they can all be stored on the websites database instead and simply retrieved using a session id.
As for third party advertisers being given this data thats questionable too. Sure the company you buy your goods from will have your data but most advertisers simply count the clicks and sales. They don't typically have access to anything else - possibly a transaction ID but thats probably about it.
For some reason nano, you seem to think that everyone that has a computer or bit of technology can do all sorts of stuff and half the time they can't.
And big business is far more shady

Don't let artmo see you saying that, he'd have you given the anti aircraft gun treatment for slating the private sector Wink
big business uses the info to determine every aspect of"who you are & what you're worth" info they sell on to people like insewerants to set your premiums, service providers to determine your credit worthiness and so on.

I will agree with you on this in fairness to you but it doesn't mean that all businesses do and it certainly doesn't mean that online advertisers are exposed to all of your purchase details. There are very strict rules in place about the storage of peoples card numbers etc. Granted rules can be broken but most legitimate business owners wouldn't want the hassle of their company being crippled while being investigated.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

They don't need to give your card number out, merely the type of card,
And if you can find a news story about it then the market leader called ADMT was fined for it's activities, it promised to do things differently and instead of stopping it's data harvest practices it split into multiple companies and segmented it's collection activities which are all available to the parent company, but now technically within the law.....
Not to dissuade you from your arguments but its not that I believe anyone with a computer can do things, but that I am informed certain groups or companies advertise their abilities and demonstrate them frequently, which is promoted as"good business" in the guise of buzzwords like"data metrics analysis" something you yourself have spoken out about when the details of just what this meant in terms of the now defunct plans to offer NHS databases to insurance companies......and those companies still want that data so they will be buying it from somewhere else or indeed several sources and collate and cross-referencing in much greater detail......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those that are interested :
Read this.