Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewiring an extension cable

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Rewiring an extension cable

Hello,

I recently took up G.Fast and one of the things was that my Talk package is now a SOGFAST/SOGEA product and therefore my extensions wired to master socket are redundant.

I was thinking of the possibility of rewiring an existing extension cable that is hardwired to the master socket and somehow plugging it in to the back of the Sky Hub.  The only thing is that there is no slack in the cable, so would need extending, is this the job of some jelly crimps?

Thanks, I do appreciate I am not a PN customer, but find these forums helpful Smiley

NE

Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
5 REPLIES 5
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: Rewiring an extension cable

@NorthEasterner  You'd only really need to use jelly crimps if the joints in question ran the risk of being exposed to moisture. But if you have them already then nowt wrong with a belt and braces approach.

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

by that do you mean stripping wires bare and twisting them?  Then hold together with bit of electrical tape?

Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@NorthEasterner 

Why not fix a RJ45 fixed wall socket on the wall next to the Master socket and take the extension cable out of the Master socket and wire it to the new RJ45 socket. You can then use an Ethernet lead between the new socket and your router, making a neat professional job rather than a bodge?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

The connections wouldn't work. 

The extension lead would have to be BT plug 431A as the phone socket on the router is BT 431A connection.

I was thinking of making the end of the extension a BT 431A (male) and then add a short length female-male BT cable to the back of the router

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from home phone to Tech help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'