Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reviewing my devices

FIXED
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

Reviewing my devices

I'm reviewing my family devices that work with PlusNet to try to improve our systems.

I think the phones are OK as they are good brands and quite new and fast.

The 64bit Cromebook works well and I note the chipset is 5 years old.

The 64 bit Windows 10 laptop works well and that chipset is 6 years old.

However, the  Windows 10 mini tablet with an Intel Atom chipset is now10 years old and the Windows 10 Desktops also have chipsets that are also  10 years old, and they all have 32bit architecture and the struggle to boot, run and update. 

We've decided the 3 older 32bit Windows need replacing with ONE device, but what would work well, that won't break the bank?

What  can you suggest and what chipset should I look at as the minimum standard?

10 REPLIES 10
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Reviewing my devices

It doesn't matter about the age of your chips.

If its useful and gets used, keep it - if it doesn't then it's time to upgrade.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fix

Do you really need to replace these devices, if you have enough other devices that do what you need?

If you do need / want to replace then if it were my money I'd buy a decent spec laptop. This would give you the power of a desktop but with added portability, allowing you to use it anywhere in the house, garden or on holiday and not tying you down to a single desk like a standard desktop would.

As for the chip set, Intel i5 or i7 with an SSD and as much memory as your budget would allow.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Every-one has their own choice of device. I have a laptop that sits in it's bag and is only used to take on holidays and in case of desktop breakdowns. The rest of the time the choice is either a tablet in the lounge or for serious work a twin screen desktop in my study (or as my Wife refers to it, 'your bug 'ole!')

When I need to replace the desktop motherboard it will be based on either the Intel or AMD based processors, whichever gives the best performance per £ at the time, but that is a fair way off. Currently 6 core AMD processors seem to be riding high.

If you have an old computer that struggles with Windows 10 I would also seriously consider changing the OS to the Cinnamon version of Linux Mint 19.1.  It's desktop is very similar to Windows but needs a fraction of the resources. A bit back I installed it on a very old single core processor laptop that a friend was scrapping. After swapping the HDD for a 128GB SSD it boots extremely quickly and does everything she needs, plus her children use it for their homework.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@VileReynard  good point

@Anonymous I think you are right.

@Baldrick1 I think I need to look at that low-cost (free :-)) option of open-source for some bits of the tech 🙂 

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

My 2 year old laptop (with W10 with its endless upgrades) has been a pain in the neck both power wise and speed wise - it was a freebie so I really can't complain too much. Even though it got kitted it out with a memory upgrade as soon as I got given it, its always seemed to be lacking something.

Yesterday I fitted in the laptop what I've had on the desktop for over 4 years now.....an SSD. I think it's what my laptop has been crying out for. Boots very quick now, runs much better, much snappier and power wise is an improvement too. True, it's not as fast as this blistering little device which I added to the desktop a couple of weeks ago but certainly an improvement.

Like @Baldrick1  I tend to upgrade with what buys best performance per £ value - does mean reading lots of reviews though. You won't see me spending £750 on a graphic card. But upgrades / replacements aren't always necessary. My phone must be 4 years old now and yes, the screen is getting on and the battery isn't as good as it was, but it works fine as it is. Yes, I've looked at new phones (I tend to buy the phone and keep my existing sim package) but I don't see any major advance (some have finger print scanners etc) that would really help me as a user. Price of a new screen and battery comes in at less than £20. Very tempted to go that route.

I also wouldn't worry about the age of chipsets, have you looked at the age of some current driver software? Even with W10, many go back to 2006 or even earlier. For a laptop / desktop, an SSD is very affordable and very easy to DIY. Cloning software is freely available. Clone - fit, job done. As I mentioned above, I've had a couple of SSD's running in the desktop for over 4 years and even now they are still running 100% with no errors. I would always buy the biggest you can afford though. Running out of space seems to be an epidemic in the making lately. I used to think 500Gb was a lot but time has shown that it just isn't so.

@Baldrick1 suggestion of Mint is a great way to go. Nil or very little bloatware must be a plus in my book.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@Leapy   As the subject of Linux Mint, has been brought up by others... I thought I would give some input.

I have been "toying" with Linux Mint for a long time...  since version 8 to be precise...

My biggest problem was that all of my "documents" have been made using a program called MS Publisher 98... which does not work with Linux..  I have, over the years, tried to use it, with WINE which is a add-on to Linux that enables you to run quite a lot of WIndows type software... but still, MSPUB98 would not run.

Windows 7 Pro, was my O.S.  which is being made redundant on Jan 14 2020... so it means that I would HAVE to upgrade to Windows 10... however, some of the features of W7 have been left off W10,... and , of course all those huge updates and the problems they have caused, have been well documented on this forum... making Linux Mint seem like a viable alternative...

So.I "bit the bullet" and got a 500GB hdd..... installed Linux Mint19.1  ..... and ... WINE... ( special page on Linux forums on how to do that , step by step .).. so I could run as many of my favourite Windows software in just the same way as if it were on Windows... Only a couple do not work... and I have found Linux alternatives for them..

MSPUB 98 still does not work, so I also installed a VIrtual Box,  (VB6) and run Windows 7 on that...  which means that I can Access Windows 7 from a icon on the desktop., for those programs, like MSPUB98, and all the documents, etc..  that are only Windows capable...without having to "dual boot"... i.e. close down Mint... start winding up windows, and then doing whatever, and then closing windows to re-boot into Mint again..

With the above setup... it has not been too difficult a transition....(although it does take some dedication to get it set up to start with... it was worth the effort....) ...   Linux DOES have updates, and you get a notification for them...and then have to give them "permission"... and that`s "job done"... all nice and neat...

It`s still a bit of a learning job... on various things that are "specific" to Linux,...but there are some VERY HELPFUL guys on this forum, that will guide you through them.

On the whole... I am pleased, and satisfied, that I made the transition from Windows to Linux MInt. and recommend it to anyone who is on Windows 7 that does not want to go on to Windows 10.

The machine I am using is a Dell Inspiron 15 5558.... and it is running on INTEL  CORE i3

Boot up is very quick... about 30 seconds. not the usual 2 minutes or more for Windows.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

AFAIK Microsoft Publisher 98 is so last century... Smiley

There are several Desktop Publishing tools you could use on Linux - but like all DTP software, the learning curve is going to be relatively steep.

If you don't need to amend your MS Pub documents you could export them to PDF (or print them to a PDF file) from within the VM.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

@VileReynard  As usual, you have taken this off topic, so I will not respond directly... I will send you a P.M.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@shutter  One of my old PC on Windows 7 is an all-in-one with the MS Media centre with an on board  digital TV system.

I'm told that is not supported in Windows 10 and my Windows 10 machines, don't have that function.

Would the TV function still work with Linux?

It's a Medion Akoya P4010D All-In-One Touchscreen PC - Intel 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM 1TB HDD, 21.5 Full HD TV

shutter
Community Veteran

@Leapy   I am a "newbie" as far as Linux is concerned... however,... I am sure that @Anonymous or someone else, more knowlegeable about these things will be able to help.

here is the spec for your Media thingy !

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/medion/akoya_p4010_md_8850/326912/specs/

Depending on how much you use the TV side of it, i suppose, depends whether to Dual Boot, with Linux, "leaving your existing Windows 7 and all stuff as original".

If you run Virtual Box 6, on Linux, you will have to treat  WIndows 7 as a "New Install" (on the Virtual Box )  from the dvd or some other source... and run up all 175 updates, to bring it up to date so far...