Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retaining Passwords?

TonyV
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Retaining Passwords?

When using FireFox 3.0.5, and I have to use a password to sign in to particular sites, like this one, for instance, how do I get the "Do you want this Password stored/remembered on this computer?" to come up allowing me to be selective about which ones I want saved on the machine? At the moment I have to write every password in each time I log in to a site.
Thanks
TonyV
21 REPLIES 21
James
Grafter

Re: Retaining Passwords?

Hi Tony,
Go to Tools -> Options -> Security -> Passwords -> Remember passwords for sites.
TonyV
Dabbler

Jameseh, that is already checked, but it doesn't seem to be very effective, unless I have to nominate the various sites I want remembering! I hasten to add I am on XP SP3.
TonyV
James
Grafter

Strange.  It works for me on the same setup.
TonyV
Dabbler

Jameseh, Maybe what I'll do is to clear it of all passwords and see if the warning window come up again. It could be that when I first registered, I told it not to remember the Password, and it has said "OK, I'll not add any more!".
TonyV
TonyV
Dabbler

Tried that but it made no difference. Oh! well, I'll have to write them in each and every time. (That could be a pain!)
TonyV
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Have you tried deselecting that option hitting apply and the selecting it?
Worked for me in the past.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TonyV
Dabbler

adiewoo
I have tried that may times, and again just now with a re-start after each change, still no good. There is no option coming up to save a particular password. Maybe I have to go for a re-install of Firefox and all that that implies. The strange thing is it remembers the login name, but not the password.
TonyV
TonyV
Dabbler

I have even changed the cookie preference to accept third party cookies just in case. But no!
TonyV
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It appears that when you first visit a site Firefox will ask you whether you want to:-

• never remember for this site

• not this time

• Remember

It never offers to remember https sites.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

TonyV
Dabbler

axisofevil
May be that is where the problem is. It just seems a wee bit silly if it says it will remember passwords, when, if what you say is right, it will only remember some!! Depending on which type of address it is looking at.
Thanks
TonyV
PS. I have run a few checks and it seems that every address I type in as www.---.--, it ends up as http:// which suggests that passwords will not be saved on any site I visit. Strange!
TonyV
Dabbler

I've taken the easy option and un-installed FireFox. That at least clears the problem. I was trying it again but have to admit it is not the most comfortable of browsers to use. To view some sites I had to adjust the Java settings then revert back to see other sites. What with that and the password problem I decided that I can get by better with IE7. FireFox may be marginally faser than IE7, IE7 has far less aggravation.
TonyV
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't think I've ever had problems with Firefox (with the exception of Java - 64 bit Java is a very new thing).
On my Windows XP laptop (only used occasionally) I've deleted all IE shortcuts.
Firefox runs perfectly on a 32 bit machine.
On those occasions where M$ force me to use their browser, I find it slow, difficult and cumbersome.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

TonyV
Dabbler

axisofevil
One site in particular where there is a problem in FireFox is the PC Advisor site. The outside "margin" of the page always comes solid blue with the information contained underneath it. The way to get rid of it is to go into Tools/Options/then the third tab along and un-check the Java script option. But, as I say, if you go to other sites, often they won't open properly until you revert back on the Java scripting option.
I find that IE7 performs pretty well for me and I rarely have any problems with it. I have tried FireFox in various manifestations, and always gone back to IE. MNay be it's a question of "Better the Devil .........."
TonyV
pierre_pierre
Grafter

cant see the difference you mentioned, except my ie hasnt the mesh advert