Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restart instead of off

samuria
Grafter

Re: Restart instead of off

You reset restart on error yes?
All I can think of it take all the cable off the mb  ie leds, usb,reset and just leave the power switch remove any cards installed and spare cables like floppy even remove cd\dvd drives, see if that does any good, if the hd led doesnt work its normally the wires the wrong way around. I have know some MB marked wrong so the connection are all the wrong way around.
morgan2476
Grafter

Does it matter which way the connections for the power and restart are inserted, ie should the inscription on the plugs be facing in or out? I am not sure what you mean by "You reset restart on error yes?"
samuria
Grafter

It doesnt matter which way around start and reset goes as it just shorts the wires, LED have to be the right way around ie hd light. The restart on error see post 3 in this thread
morgan2476
Grafter

Could the problem be the power supply?
StickyMick
Grafter

Disconnect all the front panel connectors from the motherboard, and then try the shutdown. If it stays off when that's done, then reconnect each connector one at a time, trying the shutdown procedure for each until you get the restart problem. It would then indicate that the last connector is causing the problem. Probably shorting out.
You can start the PC by shorting the "ATX Power Switch" pins with a screwdriver.
morgan2476
Grafter

I have tried all the front panels and starting up with a screwdriver but it has not made any difference.  I am using the pc quite a lot at the momment but when I get the chance I am going to try  removing all the stuff like cd drives, pci stuff etc to see if it makes any difference
StickyMick
Grafter

As some of the other guys have said here, that sounds like a BIOS problem. You say you reset the BIOS to the defaults. Did you double check the power settings in the BIOS after resetting to default, as most BIOSes set the "Restore on AC Power Loss" to [ON] by default.
PSU? Not sure, never heard of a faulty PSU causing a machine to reboot on power off. They normally stop the machine from booting if there's a fault there.
Have you checked the motherboard manufacturers site for a BIOS update that may address the issue?
Otherwise an email to the manufacturers may bare fruit as to whether it's an RMA job.
Sorry it sounds like clutching at straws, but ideas are getting a bit thin. Undecided
morgan2476
Grafter

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.  I will have another look at the bios and contact the manufacturer.
morgan2476
Grafter

Good morning - I have replaced the case and I still have the same problem.  If it is a hardware problem is there any way od finding the problem?  I have tried everything including removing as much add-ons as possible and then trying again.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I used to have one of these - I think I was using Windows 3.1 and it wouldn't shut down.
So I used to do the shut-down thing and when it restarted and entered the POST, I ripped the mains lead out of the back.  Cheesy
So it definitely powered off Grin
I always made sure the disks wern't spinning when I did it - but it's a cost free solution.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."