cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restart instead of off

morgan2476
Grafter

Restart instead of off

I have just installed a new MB and CPU everything is fine except instead of switching off it restarts,  Front panel connections are ok and the Bios is as default the MB is  a Cigabyte GA-K8N. any ideas?
Regards
24 REPLIES 24
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Restart instead of off

Is wake on LAN set on in the Bios?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Is the tick box 'Automatically Restart' in 'Control Panel/System/System Properties/Startup and Recovery' ticked. If so untick it and see what happens. If there is an error condition on shutdown it would restart.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
morgan2476
Grafter

I have tried these 2 things and it has not made any difference.  I think I will have to look at all the connections from the MB to the front panel
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

May sound obvious, but have you checked that the power or reset button on the case itself isn't damaged?
I had a similar issue and it took me weeks to notice that the power button was actually cracked and pushed partway in all the time.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
morgan2476
Grafter

I think I will ty this but there might be other issues as the Hdd light does not work.
samuria
Grafter

If you are shutting down windows then its windows that tells the pc to shut down so its very unlikely that its a hardware fault  the fault will  be with windows. You could test the theory if you have or can get a Linux live cd boot from that and shut down if it shuts down ok then its not hardware and you have proved it.
Other than that something isnt closing down properly its a slow process but shut down what you can before you tell windows to shut down ie shutdown AV  and things in the task bar then try shutting down.
You can do it in groups  shut down everything in the task bar if that cures it you will have to work through each one in turn to find the problem.
Have you checked the event log as that may show were the problem is. Do you have desktop search installed as that is very bad for causing the problem
morgan2476
Grafter

Maybe I need to format and re-install windows.  I assumed that my new MB was the same make ie Ggabyte I would not need to re-install windows.  Any thoughts.
morgan2476
Grafter

I have tried switching of with a live version of Linspire and the PC still starts.  As far as I can see the connections are OK.  Is there any way of testing the condition of both the start and restart buttons?
samuria
Grafter

Try this first get shutdown from
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/shutdown.zip
See if that will power it down
if not from a cmd prompt type
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TSSHUTDN.EXE 0 /DELAY:0 /POWERDOWN
see if that works you may get an error message 1702
What option have you got set in the BIOS for power management as if you have that set wrong it can cause the problem. If you havent reinstalled windows for a new board this could be the problem just because its a Gigabyte board doesnt mean its the same as the old one.
Another option would be to check for a firmware upgrade for the board see if there is one available they are normally good boards for that as most have duel bios so you can screw it up 
morgan2476
Grafter

Hi folks I have re-installed windows after formatting, updated all the drivers and checked the power-on and restart switches and they are OK.  My Pc will still not shut down.  Is it the MB?
mcgurka
Grafter

It could be - there are a few settings I would check before saying for sure though.
If you reboot the pc and go into the BIOS (usually F10 or delete on boot) and look for options in the power screen (or similar) and check if you have an option for "Power Down Action" or "Power Actions"
It sounds like this could be set to "Power on" which would mean that the machine will restart after power loss - if it is, change it to "Last State" or "Off" and it should be ok.
morgan2476
Grafter

I have checked all the settings in the BIOS and they seem to be OK I think I might try the MB with another case and power supply and see what happens.
samuria
Grafter

Did you try the shutdown and commands I suggested to see if they work? Having rebuilt did you reset the restart on error as described earlier on as it will default back to restart
morgan2476
Grafter

Thanks Samurai I have tried the cmd command - the pc shuts down for 2 seconds and then restarts.  I have also noticed that the hdd light does not work on the front of the case.  All the front panel stuff is connected in the same vicinity of the MB.  Other than this everything is A1