Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Resolved] Have I totalled my router?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

[Resolved] Have I totalled my router?

Hi all,
Just tried to upgrade the firmware on my dg834pn and it seems dead. The power light comes on and if I plug an ethernet cable in that shows up other than that nothing.
Before when it has failed the lights have been alternating and the recovery software has sorted it, but that relies on the router flashing alternate lights. This time nothing.
Holding the restore factory settings doesn't do anything either.
So is it dead?
Cheers..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
3 REPLIES 3
dvorak

Re: [Resolved] Have I totalled my router?

OK all better, though SWMBO isn't happy with me. Still can't have everything  Smiley
But for future reference if anyone else gets in the same pickle to get the router in a state where I could use the recovery tool I had to hold the 'Restore factory settings' button down whilst plugging the power in.
This made the router realise it had only had half a firmware or whatever and go into recovery mode.
It doesn't seem a very common problem as for once google wasn't my friend and there was nothing on the netgear site.
Second lesson, it's always handy to have a spare router..
Customer / Moderator
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You malign Netgear somewhat! See the bottom of the screendump from the Netgear site where you download the firmware. There's also the recovery utility UpgradeWizard.exe- did that not work?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak

Jelv, yeah I used that in the end - I had already downloaded it in case something went wrong.
However the issue was that the router didn't go into the correct mode when the firmware upgrade failed and the UpgradeWizard only works when the router is in a certain mode.
Customer / Moderator