Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resize Hard disc queries.

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Resize Hard disc queries.

I have a 500gb hard drive in my Laptop..

disc size 001.png

. it was "cloned" using Clonezilla, from a 250gb hard drive

I am a bit confused by the above.... and also the Disc Analyser shows this.....

disc size 003 (analyser) .png

Now I am more confused ! ! ! ...

so I go back to the first stage.... and check out "Resize option"...

and get this message...

disc size 002  (resize instrs).png

So...will I be "ok" in just changing the "partition size" ( 250 in the pic above)  to 500.. and click the "Resize" button... ?

2nd question,,... in relation to "backing up">..  I still have the "original" on a 250GB  hard drive... (maybe a couple of small things have been added/changed in the past couple of days since the clone was done.... 

I understand that Clonezilla does not work on "reverse" size cloning... i.e.  only clones to a larger size drive than the original... so ... as it is showing 250gb... above... would it clone to a 320gb hard drive.... ?  ?    ?? 

any help or useful suggestions  ?? ?? ?Huh

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
madswitcher
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Resize Hard disc queries.

Hi Shutter,

I am not familiar with Linux/Clonezilla, but I would suggest that you do back the drive up before doing anything if the data is not the same as your original source.  Take precautions proportionate to the value of your data. 

In my experience, extending a file system should not involve moving data as you are just adding to the current free space, whereas reducing it may involve may moving data around so I think you are on pretty safe ground by telling it to extend up to the maximum 500GB of your drive - back it up first.

Regards

Mike

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Fix

@madswitcher Thanks for your input.... the difference between the original and the cloned copy (now in use ) will only be a couple of emails.. and maybe some non valuable pics ... no documents, or other "serious" files... so that side is not a worry..

Thanks also for agreeing ( in my mind ) that just increasing the size  would not involve any movement of existing files on the hdd,... it "should" not cause any difficulties...
I remember doing this on a  Windows machine a few months ago, just by moving a slider across, I think... the Linux system is just a little different, and slightly confusing ... so... gonna be a brave soldier matelot... and take the plunge ! ! ..

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@shutter A bit late, but install "gparted". It will do just about anything with partitions - create, format, clone, resize, rename, change UUID ........

I often use it to "shrink, copy, paste, enlarge" to clone a partition.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

However...

Because this partition appears to be the one you boot from, you will be unable to unmount it, to allow gparted to run.

So boot from your Linux DVD and run gparted (supplied) against your disk partition.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@VileReynard   Ah! Yes, good point - I added a "maintenance" system (8GB LXqt based) to overcome that problem - so I don't have to hunt for my UBCD disk. Must try to remember others don't!

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.