Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rescuing photos from a dead PS3

chuffchuff
Rising Star

Rescuing photos from a dead PS3

The PS3 has packed up; I had a digital repair shop have a look at it. They
said that the motherboard has gone. They said that they
could not access the hard drive to rescue the photos stored on it.
Fitting a new motherboard wipes the drive, so no photos!
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rescuing photos from a dead PS3

A hard drive is a hard drive so I would suggest mounting it in a caddy (USB) and you should be able to read it using Linux. Then copy the files off that you want.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Can I take out the PS3's internal HDD, connect it to my PC, and move data on and off the drive?
No. The PS3 uses a proprietary file format for its internal HDD, which cannot be read by PCs.

You'll need some software that can cope with the file format; I don't think even Linux can cope alone.  I found two bits of software for PCs that say they can do that but I'm not sure if either was free.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

i'm not sure you'll be able to, the disks are encrypted and are tied to a particular machine which is why a new motherboard or putting it in another ps3 will want you to format it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

have a read of this http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/PS3-quot-Broken-quot-hard-drive-fixed-No-...
it might do what your asking
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

If it's the Yellow Light of Death, find someone who can do a solder reflow, that'll bring it back to life as the main reason PS3s die is due to insufficient cooling and/or a blocked up heatsink & fan, so the solder on the CPU or GPU (or both) melts and breaks contact, and a reflow fixes this issue, not a permanent fix, but enough to have the thing working again to drop off at one of them exchange shops when you've got your data off it and let someone else have some fun with it 'til it dies again... Smiley