cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Vaio battery

Mav
Fixes: 515

Replacing Vaio battery

We want to get a replacement battery for our Sony VIAO FW56E and have been searching online.
I have found this at £29.99 with delivery at £4.99.
One thing worries me, though, and that is I cannot find a UK address or telephone number on their site and it seems batteries are shipped from Hong Kong. The latter part wouldn't be a problem if there was a UK contact.
Has anyone used these before or can you recommend a laptop battery supplier?
There's also some here ranging from just over £40 to just under £50.
Any advise on purchasing the battery would be appreciated as this is new territory.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES 6
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Replacing Vaio battery

Be careful. The replacement battery may fit the VIAO but it may not be fit for the VIAO.  Quality control is really important when laptop batteries are manufactured, buy only from reputable suppliers.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I am using, and have been for the past 6 months or more, a "non OEM" replacement battery in my Dell Laptop, which cost a third of the Dell replacement... It was from a UK supplier but I cannot remember who, at the moment... Do your research on Google Shopping... and see what you come up with.... Sometimes EBAY suppliers are secondary outlets for the replacement market, and also worth a look.
As AlaricAdair says.... it may "fit" the laptop, but not necessarily be fit to work it in the same way as the original... you need to look at the battery specification ( on the battery label) and get a match to them.... If you are unsure, contact the supplier, and ask them to confirm that it is a "direct replacement"  for your particular machine.....
Mav
Fixes: 515

I took the old battery off and made note a of all the details on the underside (or is that the topside :-\).
I've used these details along with the model no to search on Google.
My main concern is finding that 'reputable' dealer.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Al3x
Dabbler

I only tend to buy genuine batteries for customers.  The Hong Kong specials that we have got for them normally are DOA or last only a month, or sometimes dont even fit.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Never used them..... but these.....  look like a UK company...
http://www.laptop-power.co.uk/laptop-batteries/?gclid=CI2openY_rECFc93fAodoj8AzA
Head Office | Laptop Power (NW) Ltd, Alchemy Industrial Estate - Unit 6,
Platinum Court, Alchemy Way, Knowsley, Liverpool, L33 7XN
See what comes up ! ! !  Wink
zedingrove
Grafter

Have a look at ebay as if you buy from them at least you are covered, and yes I too have been hesitant buying from HK, though you might find a Sony one which tends to be cheaper than from a Sony reseller.