cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement hard drives

Mav
Fixes: 514

Replacement hard drives

With two 1TB drives playing up I want to replace each before before they finally give up their respective ghosts.
These Whitebox Drives look like a good bargain but I've never heard of them before.
Google searches seem to indicate they are made by Hitachi. Could these be drives that have failed the Hitachi Quality tests in same way so are re-badged to sell off at a cheaper price or are they likely to be just as good?
Edit: A little more reading and it seems they could be Western Digital Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES 11
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Replacement hard drives

I'd return them to the retailer.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mav

The originals are out of warranty Sad

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i would rather go with something i Know  Wink like this Mav
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-seagate-st1000dl002-barracuda-lp-green-sata-3gb-s-5900rpm-32mb-ca...
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
VileReynard
Hero

But they are meant to be fit for their intended use - just because the warranty is only a year or two doesn't mean they shouldn't be replaced.

Mav

Just pondering... One of the drives in question is in an external caddy. It passed a Seagate Short test but failed the long test.
Could the caddy itself cause errors that would make the drive appear to be faulty? I think I'll take the drive out of the caddy later and do another long test. But the drive is running very hot compared to the others I have Sad

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

SMART tests are run internally by the drive itself, the long test will examine every sector of the drive, but nothing is transferred over the SATA connection while it's going on. So the caddy can't really cause any errors.
I expect the idea of the whitebox generic drives is you won't know what brand you'll get, and you won't necessarily get the same as what other people got before.
Mav

Quote from: rongtw
i would rather go with something i Know  Wink like this Mav
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-seagate-st1000dl002-barracuda-lp-green-sata-3gb-s-5900rpm-32mb-ca...

Yes, I found that one but couldn't see when they'd be available and I need them ASAP.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

A few here: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Storage/Hard+Drives+-+Internal
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
VileReynard
Hero

I've a couple of disks:-
1st one is SMART error free (up-time 1.7 years, start-stop count 9984)
250GB SAMSUNG SP2504C
2nd one has a SMART error (it has relocated one sector)!
1TB ST1000333AS (up-time 1.6 years, start-stop count 3321)
Those start-stop counts look wrong though.

Mav

I suddenly realised one of the failing drives is  1.5TB.
I have gone for two Seagate drives (1TB and [2TB) from eBuyer with free delivery.

Al3x
Dabbler

The only mechanical drives I trust are Western Digital Velociraptors.  I have ran one for 3 years, used it as my O/S hard drive and now as a backup.  I run a solid state now.  Best combination is a solid state drive for the boot and a veliciraptor as a backup/program files hard drive, and then for extra protection copy the velociraptor data onto an external.
My system boots up in 25 seconds flat on my SSD. Its quiet, only uses a few watts of power, never needs defragging and is lightning fast at doing whatever I want to do.  Online gaming, data transfer, audio/video manipulation.  Those who still use mech drives as O/S drives are really missing out.