Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement for the PN Hub One

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Replacement for the PN Hub One

My PN Hub One is getting more and more flaky. 5GHz works for about 5 minutes after reboot, or sometimes doesn't work at all. At random intervals it drops ALL wireless connections and it won't sync the line at more than 33M even though the Max Rate is shown at over 45. It randomly forgets port forwarding (or more accurately it loses the identity of the device it should be forwarding to)....

So what is a good all in one replacement that offers me port forwarding etc.  I've heard that the Archer VR400 isn't a bad bit of kit for the price but am open to suggestions.

15 REPLIES 15
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Replacement for the PN Hub One

Sounds like you may be suffering from this problem.

Regarding a replacement the BT Smarthub6 seems popular, have a look in the My Router forum for details on how to configure one for Plusnet.

SteveA
Pro

Oh I know I'm suffering from that problem - but even cold boot doesn't fix it reliably now, and the completely random drop of all wireless clients at the same time is something new.

SteveA
Pro

Maybe be I should also add that I need to be able to turn off the DHCP / DNS functionality as this is done by another device. I understand that this can't be done in the domestic smart hub and you need a business one?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@SteveA 

You can turn DHCP off on a residential Smarthub but you cannot change the default DNS, which you can on the Business version. These are not significantly difference in price anyway and I would always recomment the Business version. I assume that you are aware that the hub DNS is over ridden if your attached devices are set up to use a different DNS address?

If you can't use a Smarthub because of the missing features then how can you use a Hub One?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

SteveA
Pro

@Baldrick1 - I didn't say I couldn't use a smarthub -  I'd seen some people say that you couldn't turn off the DHCP in the home hub - but maybe that's older versions than the H6

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@SteveA wrote:

Oh I know I'm suffering from that problem - but even cold boot doesn't fix it reliably now, and the completely random drop of all wireless clients at the same time is something new.

We had a hub1 a few years ago which was similar to what you describe. If you log into it and click on the home network link does yours suddenly reboot? - ours did and PN had it back for diagnostics and found the 5GHz hardware appeared to have a fault. We're on our 3rd or 4th hub1 and while the others damaged our faith, this one has been faultless for 2 odd years.

You can read about our troublesome hub1 here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/It-s-BACK-The-HubOne-quot-Home-Network-quot-router-reb...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
SteveA
Pro

@7up - no, the home network link causes the wireless to drop, wired connections hang (even if they are just going through the router and not out to the internet) and sometimes it causes the WAN connection to randomly drop.

7up
Community Veteran

The symptoms may not be the same but you do mention "the home network link causes".

That's enough for me to be convinced it's duff. @bobpullen you got another "Home network" link defect here.

SteveA
Pro

I actually flagged this up a while back - along with some other issues like the home network losing details of what's connected and at start up if it doesn't find those items then port forwarding doesn't work.

I can see why BT dumped the kit and let PN have it - it's bugridden.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

If clicking the 'Home Network' link triggers any adverse behaviour then I'd point the finger at hardware and suggest a replacement.

Regarding the Wi-Fi, I can push an engineering build that will likely improve/remedy the 5GHz situation.

Regarding the displayed devices in the network map, there's something I'd like to try with somebody that frequently sees devices 'going missing'. Drop me a private message if you're interested.

Sadly, I have no silver bullet that will address both issues simultaneously.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SteveA
Pro

I've retired the Hub One today, it just seems to be getting worse day by day.

7up
Community Veteran

@bobpullen wrote:

Regarding the displayed devices in the network map, there's something I'd like to try with somebody that frequently sees devices 'going missing'. Drop me a private message if you're interested.

One wireless device (phone) actually shows up on the LAN1 part of the map! The phone obviously doesn't have an ethernet socket... lol

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It would do that if connected to a secondary Wi-Fi access point that is wired to the router, but that's the only circumstance I've seen it happen.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

7up
Community Veteran

I figured that however it's not connected to a secondary AP - I don't have one! Well.. I do.. kinda but that hasn't been used for over a year!

Interestingly while looking at the network map last night i turned my phones wifi on and about 3 "Not connected" devices then decided to vanish.

The bahvious of that page is certainly quirky.