cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing broadband connection info on XP pro laptop

robgray

Removing broadband connection info on XP pro laptop

I'm about to give away an old, but working XP Pro laptop but want to remove my information on it so that the next owner cannot use my Plusnet account.
There seems to be plenty about how to make the connection - but I can't find anything about how to remove it.
Can anyone help please ?
Robert.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Removing broadband connection info on XP pro laptop

Assuming you are using a router then there wouldn't be anything on there about your account except for any saved login passwords for the router or your account.
These would be stored in your browser and I assume that you have removed everything from there
If you are using a modem then it may remember the login information but it is more usual for it to be in the modem itself
What are you doing about all the other bits of information floating about such as email accounts, bank login etc.
If you have a recovery disk for the laptop or there is a recovery partition I would recommend taking it back to the as received state then applying all the necessary patches
robgray

Thank you.
I am using a router.
Where in the browser would I remove things from ?
I have already restored the laptop to the factory condition and updated all the patches.  I've not set up email accounts, bank logins or anything else like that.  I've installed Firefox and made it the default browser and installed a few other free programmes - Libre Office, TBBmeter.
Robert.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

For Firefox - they would only be there if you put them in after the restore
If you did then go to Tools, Options, Security and see if there are any saved passwords
robgray

Thank you.  I'll do that.
Robert.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: robgray
I have already restored the laptop to the factory condition ....

Then you do not need to fiddle around with Firefox.  However it may well still be possible to find at least some of your old files by running data recovery software (like Recuva http://www.piriform.com/recuva or similar). 
robgray

Thank you.
I'll have to hope that my grandson isn't up to that - but I didn't have any personal stuff that I would worry about.  I just wanted to make sure he would not be able to use my broadband account.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Well I took my spare router over to a neighbour's recently, hooked it up to change the settings and found it had already connected to the internet using my credentials.  And my neighbour was with TalkTalk who are supposed to be LUU in my area. 
So your computer will be fine but don't whatever you do give away your router.