cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote server login

hebe100503

Remote server login

Hi,
I have just moved to plus net from BT, we are having an issue with my daughter loging into her school computer to submit her homework. We have taken her laptop into the school and seen the IT tech and he says her pc is working fine and is connecting using their wifi but when back at home it just won't connect. She has no other issue with going online just this one. He did say that maybe Plusnet restrict any remote access but have called them today to which they said everything is fine as far as they are concerned. It's starting to get right on my t##ts now!
I turned the fire wall off which made no difference.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Lee  Angry Angry Angry Angry
5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Remote server login

Hi hebe100503, welcome to the forum.
Are you on ADSL or Fibre?
Have you activated any of Plusnet's free security software or setup Plusnet Safeguard?
hebe100503

Hi,
Thanks very much for your reply and welcome!
I am now using fibre for the first time, bt was asdl, and I haven't knowingly activated any plusnet security. Rang them again today and was told that I may have to set up my router for 'port forwarding' but all the info regarding this online is showing you how to set it up if other people want to access your pc/server, not if you are trying to access someone else's.
I love technology!
Give me 2 bake bean cans and a length of string any day!
Regards
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

How exactly is the homework submitted? Is it like logging in to a website? What happens when it doesn't work, is it like you can't open that part of the school's website at all?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As you are on Fibre hebe100503, have you got an all-in-one Modem/Router (Plusnet Hub One?) or is it a separate Modem & Router? If it's a combined unit, I'd be very careful if you make any configuration changes to it and it needs to reboot. I would be best to log into it and click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session, and then power it down. After about 30 seconds or so, unplug it from the line and then power it up to make the configuration changes and wait at least 15 minutes (not a second less) before reconnecting to the line. Whatever you do, don't disconnect/reconnect to the line more than twice with 30 minutes. DLM can be aggressive as it can regard that as a dropping connection and increase Interleaving, Band the speed etc. There's no easy way to get it reset as there was on ADSL.
If they are separate units, then I would still log into the Router and click Disconnect (to minimise the chance of a stale session) but you can reboot the Router as much as you like, just don't touch the Modem - leave that connected.
hebe100503

Hi,
It's a combined router, I went into it and found the port forwarding tab. In there was a drop down that listed games etc that you wanted conected, as well as a 'except all' which I highlighted, much to my daughters disgust she can now log on to the school computer so she has no excuse for not doing her home work!!
It was luck more that judgment that it worked.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
All the best.