cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote image hosting but viewing in dreamweaver editor

dosch
Grafter

Remote image hosting but viewing in dreamweaver editor

I got archived a while ago and support suggested I keep images on a remote host site. I use Photobucket. Problem is that although this has  reduced my bandwidth under normal circumstances, it obviously downloads from photobucket every time I open a page in Dreamweaver edit. Somewhat defeating the object. Is there any way I can view images stored on  my computer in the edit page whilst displaying the Photobucket copy of the image on-line. First I tried linking from an image to the P Bucket copy but that displayed both images. Tried an image placekeeper same applies. Tried different versions of the P Bucket codes to no avail. It's Dreamweaver 8 by the way.
Any ideas,
6 REPLIES 6
samuria
Grafter

Re: Remote image hosting but viewing in dreamweaver editor

There isnt really a way of doing that I can think of other than using pictures on the HD until you get it right then change all the links to another site. I think what you need to do is get and image compressor  like [url]http://winsoftmagic.com/[/url. The size of the files it creates can be fantastic and there is no real loss of quality. You are talking at least 50% smaller in many cases this mean you use less bandwidth and they load quicker.
The only other idea is create one picture of all your pictures and use a image map to the real pictures that way you wouldnt have the problem you would just need the one photo in the current directory which would work on your home pc and also on the site.
There are lots of image compressors out there to try most have fully working demo so you can give them I try.
dosch
Grafter

Thanks for taking the time to reply
There isnt really a way of doing that I can think of other than using pictures on the HD until you get it right then change all the links to another site. - Trouble is I need to update it as people send additions in from time to time.
I think what you need to do is get and image compressor - I've already resized and compressed them all.
I'm the victime of having two particular  pages which get a lot of legitimate hits from searches, but also lots of accidental ones too. I've de-optimised the page quite a bit to avoid the unwanted ones as much as I can, but still get some unwanted ones.
Since doing all the resizing, remote hosting etc, bandwidth is not  a problem, but it is a pain downloading every time I edit. The image map would work I suppose if I didn't need to keep adding pictures from time to time.
At the moment I'm starting to have to be carefull about hits to some mp3s on the site. I'll have to get those hosted somewhere else soon I think.
Thanks all the same for the suggestions samuria.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

How about disconnecting from the web when edited with Dw - I've put an LAN  icon on my bottom tool bar - and disconnect if doing much editing in Dw.
Saves additional hits on Google analytics too:
just my 2p's worth
dosch
Grafter

Ma108
I wouldn't know how to go about doing that but I'll give it a go if you tell me how. Is that something to do with synchronizing? Someone mentioned that to me at one time but I didn't grasp what it was about. I suppose I'm like many people, as far as I.T. is concerned. I've learned quite a bit about a few things which I do regularly, but next to nothing about everything else.
I'm just modifying this because I've just thought -
Am I actually downloading from Photobucket every time, or does DW retrieve the images from my temp internet folder. If it does get them from there, is there a way of keeping them somewhere else so I don't loose them if I clear the folder?
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I'm still on Windows XP - and using Ethernet connection - not a USB -  so this applies to that.
Go to Control panel ( start button & half way down right side normally )
Click on Network Connections
You should see some icoms - typically labelled Ethernet, 1394 Connection.
If you right click on Ethernet - hopefully you will see at the top - disable.
If you click on the disable - not unexpectedly  - it will disable the ethernet connect.
Right click again - and you see enable - again click to activate.
If that works - you can now drag and drop a copy onto your desktop. by right clicking and dragging to the desktop - and accept the "create short cut.
Then if you want you can drag this to the bottom tool bar
Another way:
Double click on the Ethernet icon, select Properties
at the bottom - tick the box next to "Show icon in notification area when connected
Look bottom right toolbar - and you will now see an icon showing Ethernet icon - if you just hover the mouse over it you will see it so labelled. You can right click that to  disable. It disappears - so you can use that method to reenable, so you still need the short cut I discribed above.
Hope that helps
Any comments  on that technique from others here ?.

dosch
Grafter

Sorry I've been a  while Ma108. Just got round to trying it. - Fell at the first hurdle I'm affraid
From Network Connections I've got Accass runner, Local Area Connection & Plusnet
The Plusnet asks me for a password. As I didn't set the comp myself (it was done for me) I'm not sure about the password and what may result if I use the wrong one. The stuff about connections etc is all out of my area. I don't know anything about Access runner or Local area stuff.
I just get a stupid mental block when it comes to things which might cock things up.
I've got XPPro by the way.
A   Cry