Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote child and dogs causing keyboard repeats

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Remote child and dogs causing keyboard repeats

I think this might be classified as a hardware problem:
I've had problems with my desktop PC recently. Little did I suspect my little grand daughter who lives 200 miles away would become implicated in the cause.
I've investigated the usual suspects of malware infestation, hardware problems, damaged driver software. I've re-installed browser software and spent some time checking monitoring logs. The symptoms were that at random times the current input field on the screen would start to fill with repeated character keystrokes, not always the same character, but normally the single quote symbol. Another symptom was that the mouse scrolling and selection would become erratic.
There were no stuck keys on my keyboard which is an expensive but highly reliable wired PS2 connector.
Eventually I realised the problems manifested themselves when our dogs were in the room with me.  The problems were also related to a wireless mouse I'd replaced recently. The old one was just chewing through batteries, so I replaced it with a spare wireless mouse and receiver dongle I used to use with my travelling laptop computer. Normally it all worked impeccably, just the annoying intermittent repeating character on the screen.
Now logic would tell you that dogs were unlikely to cause repeating characters on a PC screen. However further investigation of Hardware Device Properties revealed the PC thought it had two connected keyboards. I could only see one on my desk. Suddenly a dim light started to flicker in my brain.
I checked behind the dogs bed in the corner of the room. I found a wireless keyboard between it and the wall. It was the keyboard we let our grand daughter use to play on. I'd forgotten we had it. At some point she or someone else had tidied the keyboard in the area where we subsequently located the dog bed.  The dog's bed was causing pressure against the keys.
Remembering the wireless keyboard was paired with the new mouse dongle I removed the batteries from the keyboard. Problem solved.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
2 REPLIES 2
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Remote child and dogs causing keyboard repeats

Smiley
Now logic would tell you that dogs were unlikely to cause repeating characters on a PC screen.  No, I find it is almost always cats.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Remote child and dogs causing keyboard repeats

Frustrating - but funny.  Cheesy
When I read the title I was intrigued.
I started reading the article and you mentioned 'logs' I thought you had a typo in the title, and hadn't spotted it. Grin Grin