Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Desktop Problems...

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Remote Desktop Problems...

I seem to be having some problems today connecting to my Windows XP Pro machine at home using Remote Desktop.
When I first attempted to connect I was presented with the login screen, but after entering my username and password all I got was a black screen before eventually encountering the attached error.
Subsequent attempts to connect timeout and take me straight to the error.
Now normally, I'd assume there was a problem with my machine at home however Chris is having the same problem too. We both installed a Windows Update last and I'm wondering if that's anything to do with it? The only other thing I can attribute it to is a problem here on our internal network.
Anyone else having problems?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

8 REPLIES 8
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Remote Desktop Problems...

I'm currently connected with Remote Desktop to my work machine (I'm working from home this morning), over a VPN.  Updates should have gone on this morning.  Are you VPN'ing into the remote network?  Could it be VPN that has been screwed by an update?  My VPN client is Cisco.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Slight correction.  There are still some updates that need to go on.  Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474), Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB110806) (x86), Group Policy Preference Client Side Extensions for Windows XP (KB943729), and Root Certificates Update.
I suppose the group policy preferences might have an effect on you.  I can give it a try this afternoon if you still need me to, but I need RD this morning, so don't want to try and brake it at the moment!
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Don't know if you can but try logging in as Administrator instead. I've had similar errors before and subsequent attempts to reconnect are aborted because the first session is still active... though not properly.
What I do is then log in as Admin, and force my normal account to log off. I then reconnect as my normal user.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
samuria
Grafter

Are you running the basic rdp that came with xp?  If you are that could be the problem there a lot of issues with it especially connecting with Vista there is an updated client that solves it
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876
Try the update and see if it solves it
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I've just installed all the updates on my laptop, and can still get to my work PC's without a problem (one XP and one Vista).  There might still be some updates missing from my work PC's though.
Phil

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK, thanks for that Phil, suppose I'll have to see what I can decipher when I get home.
Quote from: okrzynska
Don't know if you can but try logging in as Administrator instead. I've had similar errors before and subsequent attempts to reconnect are aborted because the first session is still active... though not properly.
What I do is then log in as Admin, and force my normal account to log off. I then reconnect as my normal user.

I don't get as far as the login screen after the first failed attempt. Tried pre-populating the computer name and Admin username in the RDP client but that hasn't made a difference.
Quote from: samuria
Are you running the basic rdp that came with xp?  If you are that could be the problem there a lot of issues with it especially connecting with Vista there is an updated client that solves it
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925876
Try the update and see if it solves it

The remote computer is running XP PRO SP3 and I'm trying to connect from my work lappy that's running Vista Business. Chris is running XP SP3 both at work and home.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

samuria
Grafter

Did you update the pc with xp you are trying to connect to as this is the one that needs the rdp update?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah, both machines are fully up to date. Chris's problem appears to have subsided but mine still exists. Haven't had the time to look at it in any more detail yet. First step I think will be to do a system restore to before the update just so I can confirm whether or not my suspicions are correct.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team