cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Access

SGH-B

Remote Access

I want to access my computer in home b from home a so I can access a program (motorola homesight) to keep an eye on the house via cameras.
How can I do this ?
12 REPLIES 12
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Remote Access

Does home b have a modem or a router?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SGH-B

router
rmerewood
Dabbler

I'd suggest looking at VNC. There's a free server/client available here: http://www.realvnc.com/
You run the server on your computer in home B, then run the client on the machine in home A. This will give you remote access to your normal desktop, so you'll be able to run any program you need. There are plenty of guides and tutorials out there.
Consider though that you will need to forward the port for VNC through your router and this obviously presents a bit of a security risk. At the very least, make sure you have a password for VNC access and consider tunnelling your VNC traffic over SSH.
Other things to look at are Windows Remote Desktop, NX ... or, if you just need to see the images then your program may already have an option to upload them to a website.
custompc

Theres Ultra VNC too  Wink

Oh, and Radmin (one off payment but very good)
Loombucket
Grafter

There's a free encrypted service available from www.logmein.com which will provide a secure service and will get round any need to make changes to firewalls, routers, port forwarding etc.
Buzzons

Use the built in remote desktop...works far better than any of the VNC client/server stuff.
Rikaitch
Grafter

Quote from: Buzzons
Use the built in remote desktop...works far better than any of the VNC client/server stuff.

That's until it keeps saying "you need to download sp2 to get this to work" and you have, and then it says it again.
I agree, realvnc is very very good, but can be a pain to set up and get working.
Liam
Grafter

Yup.  MS's RDP client is so much better than any VNC software I have ever tried.  It's a lot snappier, and uses so little bandwidth.  (Though if you're streaming camera feeds it's obviously a little different!)  I generally find that video over RDP or VNC is not *that* great.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: rmerewood
At the very least, make sure you have a password for VNC access and consider tunnelling your VNC traffic over SSH.

crikey, this reminds me of a post I made years ago that got put on the VNC FAQ-O-Matic here
SSH is highly recommended, giving you a two-part authentication, although it is a bit beyond the average user setup.
There is a commercial effort called GoToMyPc.com which allows you to do this relatively simply.  Never used it so I can't specifically recommend it.  However, it does alleviate the requirement to open ports on routers, which Average Joe isn't usually comfortable with, or aware of what security risks are in place.
Barry
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: Liam

Yup.  MS's RDP client is so much better than any VNC software I have ever tried.  It's a lot snappier, and uses so little bandwidth.  (Though if you're streaming camera feeds it's obviously a little different!)  I generally find that video over RDP or VNC is not *that* great.

It sure does use alot less bandwidth !
That's until it keeps saying "you need to download sp2 to get this to work" and you have, and then it says it again.

Ironic ive never had that - but i tend to keep my machine up to date  Grin
use MS Remote Desktop (mstsc) 🙂 it is the best by far - and is easily tweakable if you need to change the port.. also as it runs as a service rather than an application you dont have to log into the machine at home. ALSO it logs the machine at home out.. so no one else can be using the machine while you are (a benefit in my case- however you may want to support multi-login)
espresso_mick
Grafter

I would recommend LogMeIn too.  It's great.
I use it and found it worked a lot better for me than Microsoft's built in software.
rockposer
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I've just renewed my subscription to logmein after my 1st year of useage. I'd recomend it.