cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Access Software/Solution Optioms

ageinghippy
Dabbler

Remote Access Software/Solution Optioms

Hi, I often get calls from a freind who lives in Devon (I live in Cumbria) for some basic IT support (though I'm no expert).
It would be realy useful if I could login to her PC and carry out some basic fixes and if possible transfer files ideally without her having to do anything. ALthough she uaes PC's at work she freaks if she has to come out of windows media center on the htpc I built her and on to her desktop.
If absolutley needed I could install some software on my next trip own in a cpl months.  But again if there's a way to do that remotely it would b good
Both using Win 7 premium and both on Plusnet BB
7 REPLIES 7
CX
Grafter

Re: Remote Access Software/Solution Optioms

TeamViewer works well for me.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have also used Teamviewer extensively with great success....and it's free http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ageinghippy
Dabbler

Looked at site seems aimed a business users and a tad expesive for what I want to do?
Trevor
Mav
Fixes: 514

I successfully use LogMeIn to remotely control 5 other PCs including my wife's brother's in Ukraine in Russian  Cheesy
The free account does everthing I require apart from transferring files. For that I often just use a file-sharing account like Rapidshare. If the file is small enough I ftp to my plusNet webspace.
All you need to do is get the person to download and run a small file from a link from LogMeIn and you're ready to go.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

CX
Grafter

TeamViewer is free for non-commercial use. There is a limit to the number of hours per-month, but I have never come near it.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Yeah I use the free version of teamview as well, works really well on both mac and windows.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Another thumbs up here for TeamViewer too.
It only makes outbound connections so you don't even have to worry about opening ports in your firewall/router either. Just tap in the other parties ID and password and thats it - it connects to the TV server and the data is passed between the two computers. IT also lets you easily switch so that you can bring the other person over to your computer and vice versa. No need to disconnect just click a button to switch direction. It's a very good bit of kit and despite having a limit (which doesn't seem to be well published) I'm only ever once been bocked from using it (and I'd literally used it for endless hours of programming support for PHP scripts).
There is also TightVNC - free but you'll need to configure opening ports for the server. It can work in reverse (IE you can have the server and let the other party connect to you - and you still see their desktop) but it can be a bit annoying. I also once heard that there are some packet proxies that you could connect through to avoid this but I've yet to even find one or try it. TightVNC can now be run as a system service too so that you can use it without a user being logged on (eg so you can select a user at the login screen and enter your password).
Ultimately, if its a 'pro' / ultimate system you might find that the native Remote Desktop works well for you. This can be a pain on WinXP Pro though as by default it will only let one user logon at a time but there is a patch for that (although it requires you to have physical access to the machine). If you can patch it then you can login and then shadow the other logged on user.
If you have the another computer sat next to you (EG your laptop) then you can also look at win2vnc. Install a VNC server (such as tightvnc mentioned above) on the laptop and then install win2vnc on the desktop and you'll be able to move your mouse over to the laptop and use the same mouse and keyboard. Not suited to remote connections obviously but I thought I'd mention it as its a trick that the other remote clients don't offer and currently only works for VNC.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!