Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating NAS Drive

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: Relocating NAS Drive

I remember reading something a few years back that they'd started saying that anything electrical with the British Standards Institute kite mark was to be considered as unsafe and should be replaced with electricals displaying the British Electrotechnical Approval Board "BEAB Approved" logo as if the products carrying the kite mark all of a sudden turned faulty and dangerous overnight... Huh
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

yeah I read something about the different logo meaning there had been a payment to the fire service pension scam though so its fictitious promotion was dropped, besides they now want everything to carry the EC mark to prove its worthy despite being a lesser standard and not designed for use on 240v systems (what with the EU being on 220v)
something that caused all manner of problems when manufacturers of psu's went over to the crystal mark certification and couldn't understand why the UK consumers where crying about coil whine ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

I don't trust a lot of things that carry the CE mark as it's often faked by a certain far east country that is well known for fake goods and takeaway food, and of course the EU does naff all about it even though there's a lot of unsafe goods carrying their declaration of conformity which they haven't approved for anything, the CE mark is a bit of a joke really... Roll_eyes
I'd be more worried about using a dodgy chinese PSU than having daisy-chained trailing sockets... Grin
Anonymous
Not applicable

I remember seeing (WatchDog, I think) about a Woman that bought a replacement 'genuine' Charger. Her son tried to use it and when he plugged it in it killed him instantly.
It's depressing to think that there is scum on this Earth that will put money before life.
In fact it may well have been 'Fake Britain' now I think about it.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Mook
In fact it may well have been 'Fake Britain' now I think about it.

I think it's been on Fake Britain and Watchdog's Test House, I know which one you mean as I've seen it too, and yes, it is sad that there are people knowingly creating dangerous products that have killed, but the products are not being blocked from even entering the country, never mind being sold here...
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Here are the items requiring a power socket behind my TV:
1) The Television itself
2) Satellite Receiver
3) PS3
4) Blu-Ray Player
5) 8 Port Switch
6) 8 Port Switch
7) Media Server
Cool NAS Drive
9) AV Receiver
10) Sub Woofer
11) PS3 Controller Charger
12) Google Chromecast (not sure where it is at the moment)
13) Power Line Adapter
Does anyone sell 13 way wall sockets?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

no but if your getting a new diss box to accommodate the excessive amount of sockets then you should forward plan for another 7 outlets giving you a total of 20 power outlets given that in the next few years you will likely be getting the VR hud unit +charger the associated wall screen + holo projector and a few more things that have yet to be announced  Wink
iirc there is some rules about the number of outlets on a single circuit so be prepared for a much larger C.U. with an extra 10 mcb's to cover the I.o.T. uplift to your home as everything you have becomes online capable and requires its own dedicated power outlet .....
as with anything its more sensible to take reasonable steps to prevent something happening than worrying that it might occur and tacking excessive steps to prevent the likelihood of it happening, which coincidentally would increase the likelihood of a fire given the close proximity of so many separate ring mains and the amplification effect of electromagnetic interference on all those gadgets......
i'll stick with my power bars as i'm sure will the majority of people as they are simple relatively safe and easy to conduct insulation and conductivity testing on at regular intervals with a multi-metre without the excessive costs of having the place rewired every couple of years to add new sockets as new low power (less than 5 amp) kit is acquired /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Strat
Does anyone sell 13 way wall sockets?

I don't know about a 13 way but I have a 12 way Brennenstuhl in the garage, inside my rack.
Strat
Community Veteran

I should point out that the wall socket feeding all this kit is a triple wall socket similar to one of these http://www.diy.com/departments/mk-low-profile-white-switched-triple-rocker-socket/53964_BQ.prd
Oh...and as you may see from the above list the NAS Drive has been relocated....the purpose of the OP.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it was asked tongue-in-cheek and you were meaning a wall socket. I was simply trying to say that there are 12 way (trailing) sockets available, so with your 3 way socket, you've now got a spare  Grin
Strat
Community Veteran

I'm browsing Amazon as we speak, looking for something to plug into it Wink