Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocating NAS Drive

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Relocating NAS Drive

I have a 3TB NAS drive on my desktop and am looking to relocate it behind the main TV where everything else media related lives.
I have an 8 port TP-Link switch behind there and having just looked....it's full Shocked
For goodness sake I don't run a server farm behind there but it means I need to increase ethernet port capacity.
I have looked at doubling up on 8 port switches or getting a 16 port switch. I would prefer a single unit and mains brick behind there but the cost of a 16 port switch seems to be way more than double the cost of an 8 port unit.
The TP-Link 8 port is £18
Unless someone knows different?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
25 REPLIES 25
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: Relocating NAS Drive

10/100 or Gigabit? If just 10/100, there's a TP-Link 16 port here for just under £27:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381087334057
Gigabit is more though, but unless you're streaming to multiple TVs at once, 10/100 should suffice...
Strat
Community Veteran

Gigabit definitely.
I occasionally transfer large amounts of data across my network as I am at present so the quicker the better.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Looking at the price of them, doubling up seems be the cheaper solution, loses a couple of ports per switch linking them together, but less of a wallet-impact...
Strat
Community Veteran

Yep, I'm coming to that conclusion.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

As for powering them, if you have a PSU with enough power (and both switches use the same voltage) you could split the power between the two from one supply:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151216567411
Though you'd need to make sure the barrel plugs are of the right size for the job... Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran

11 x 13 amp plugs in use back there but I still have 2 vacant sockets.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

Was about to say blimey, but, I just counted the sockets in this room, and I'm not that much better!!! Grin
Strat
Community Veteran

The fire service strongly recommends no trailing sockets but if I implemented that I'd have a wall full of double sockets  Roll_eyes
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

I only have a one double socket on the wall in here, so, I have little choice but to have trailing sockets, it's the only way I can get power across the room (I prefer to not have computers, my TV and other electricals & electronics by the radiator) without rewiring which I can't do cos it's a rented house!!! Grin
That said I've also got network cables all over too, really do need to consolidate stuff in here, starting to look like the inside of a borg cube with all the cables and wires & flashing green lights... Shocked
CX
Grafter

RE fire safety; I was under the impression that you're better off with "regular" trailing sockets than the surge protector type, especially if located somewhere that you can't see the lights on them. I'd never buy an eBay special; you never know of they've skimped on the thermal cutoff.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

I've never really seen the point of surge protected strips, they're only good if the mains decided to overvolt and go over something like 275 Volts, for lightning protection, they're not all that much use as electronics will be damaged on a direct or near-strike regardless... Shocked
But yes, ebay specials are a no-go, you never know how badly they've been made, and to what level of cheapness...
Strat
Community Veteran

About 2 years ago our local fire service did a tour of the area visiting houses with an offer to fit smoke alarms.
I was out at the time but my daughter let them in and while fitting 2 alarms they commented on my trailing sockets, telling my daughter that such things were quite dangerous and should be removed.
twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero

I'm willing to bet they weren't going to do a free "trailing socket removal and replacement with wall socket" service though... Grin
The only unsafe way of using them is if they're operating high-current appliances, the cheaper sockets (and their cheap plastic plugs too) tend to melt with the heat generated by the current resulting in a potential fire situation, but that's only an issue if the end user's an idiot and is fodder for evolutionary natural selection... Grin
If I have to use a trailing extension for something high-current, I use proper urea-formaldehyde plugs & sockets (better at resisting breaking down under heat), 2.5mm 3-core cable, and if necessary, an RCD device on one end, it's only logical to do so... Smiley
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

yeah they spent 30 years telling everyone not to use the tardis type socket extenders and now they want everyone to use them ........
personally I have half a dozen 4 or 6 way switched surge protected (voltage regulating type) extension bars, being a new property this one has several double sockets round the lounge but in the area designated on the building plans as "tv area" there is only 1, the people making the building 5 years ago didn't expect anyone to have a console, skybox, surround sound unit, disk player and tv......
in the area designated as "office space" there are 2 double sockets and the nte5 face plate, so not even enough to plug in the phone, router, modem, monitor, tower, usb hub, nas box, desktop lamp, phone charger and so on..... result is 3 six way switched extension bars to plug in all the stuff at the desk, or as I have it now, 1 UPS with 6 outlets one of which is a 4 way power strip for the phone/ modem/router/usb hub both monitors the tower the nas and a few other devices I don't want to suddenly loose power, and 2 6 way switched power strips ....

the fire service gives out advice that changes regularly just like wiring regulations and rarely has anything to do with common sense, decent power strips present a hazard in areas where dust builds up, simple answer hover once a week ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you