Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalled XP, now can't install SP3

keletkezes
Dabbler

Reinstalled XP, now can't install SP3

Hello ladies and gents,
I've just acquired a new computer (Vista: no, I know!) and so decided to wipe the old one and start again (what do you mean I hadn't reinstalled Windows in 6 years?!): backed everything I wanted up and got a more computer-literate friend in to help/push the right buttons.
After reinstalling the USB modem things were slow: friend realised the USB drivers weren't up to date so attempted to get hold of SP1.  Turns out this has been replaced by SP3, so downloaded that (took 6hrs) and then I tried to install it (as it finished sometime after midnight).  Error message says I need SP1 to install SP3, but SP1 has been replaced by SP3...
Can anyone help?!
Dawn.
3 REPLIES 3
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Reinstalled XP, now can't install SP3

Just run Windows Update and let it do its thing..... Wink
(force it through by running it again immediately after each batch of updates)
barky
Grafter

seem to remember that SP2 of XP has to be installed before SP3 --- think the SP2 includes SP1
probably got em got them on CD somewhere -- if not can no doubt download sp2 from the microsoft.com website
ws there not something about windows update only now working with later service packs installed ?
pnf
Grafter

Service Packs 1a, 2 and 3 can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389
On the above web page it states ... 'To install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), either Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) must already be installed.'
At the bottom of the page it states that ... 'Service Pack 1 (SP1) is no longer available for download'.
Edit: corrected typo