Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall win 10

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Reinstall win 10

Good point, but I've already taken this PSU out. Need to get to his PC and will post back.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Curious..... Just been on the scan website, to see what other psu I would get, and can't find any refurbished cosair units, even the code for the one that I have is not found........

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Guess it could have been either the last one or the only one....?

A customer returned one....?

Also, define refurbished - fully disassembled, with all components tested, or simply plugged to see if it works, or one previously used with just a bit of spit and polish....?

Regardless, in a way I hope it doesn't work in your sons PC either, will save some head scratching.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you tried temporarily removing the power cable to the HDD?

Since this is a "major" part that has changed, you could have a short etc in the SATA power cable?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the help. It seems to be the psu. Removed the 24pin connector, and the cpu power connector from sons desktop, and connected up the suspect one, and a connector to the hdd. Same thing, powers up, for around 20 to 30 seconds then switches off. Must be a dodgy power rail or something, anyhow will return and buy a new one. Lesson learn for trying refurbs.......
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@penfold wrote:
powers up, for around 20 to 30 seconds then switches off. 

What you describe matches the symptoms of the CPU overheating rapidly.  Are you sure it is in good thermal contact with the heat sink?

penfold
Aspiring Pro

@ReedRichards.. Overheating cpu was my very first thought, but I dismissed it, as when I was in bios the temp was OK. I use Arctic mx4, I've had the tube a while, but I didn't think it went off. Its an amd cpu, athlon 2 am3+. I will take heatsink off and check, but I put a small blob in the middle of the cpu heat spreader and let the heat sink spread it.
Psu sounds more likely as it did the same in my sons rig, that I built for him around a year ago.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Oh, well if the PSU runs for about a minute then cuts out it could be that the PSU incorporates Thermal Protection and it is the PSU that is overheating.  Can you hear the fan?  You cannot usually see the fan blades when they are rotating but you should be able to see if the fan is stationary.  Thermal Protection is by no means mandatory on PSUs so this could be a red herring.  But the sort of delay you are encountering is characteristic of the rapid overheating that might result from a fan failure.   

penfold
Aspiring Pro

I shall have a look at that. Didn't think of it..... I chose a refurb due to the manufacturer being a good brand in corsair. I buy alot of memory from this brand. Will let you know....
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Corsair is a respected brand so perhaps more likely to incorporate Over Temperature Protection in its PSUs.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks.... I will rig up the psu to think it's in the pc tonight and see what happens.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Curious.... Set up psu on bench, and connected the pins that tell it to start up. It started up fine, and ran a case fan. Didn't cut out and psu fan running... Fair enough, it wasn't under any kind of load, and if it wasn't for it doing the same thing in my sons rig, wich is a virtually identical build, I would be more enclined to think cpu overheating.... I will look at the thermal paste pattern tomorrow, see what it looks like, but heatsink seemed to attach OK. It's getting puzzling.... I will likely pull it all apart and reseat everything. As said the only new things are the mobo, psu and memory. Memory is detected OK by the mobo, so I would presume its good, and if it's posting, I am assuming the mobo is good.... Any ideas before I take psu back....
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

A computer will fire-up without any hard drive connected nor any USB devices; you just need the CPU and memory installed on the motherboard.  You don't need the motherboard to be inside the case if you can work out which pair of pins you need to briefly short together to start it up. You'll need the monitor connected to see the messages; you will probably see a message complaining at the lack of keyboard and it will stop at an error message saying (in effect) that it cannot find the hard drive.  But this is quite a good way to debug problems, check that everything works in this minimal configuration then add peripheral devices one at a time and recheck.      

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Pulled heatsink from cpu. Was well stuck down. Attached some pictures, but it looks OK to me. I put a blob in the middle about the size of 2 grains of rice.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Maybe I should cover the whole cpu in a thin layer of compound like other cpus need. I would have thought the blob technique would have worked for a dual core cpu