Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Hat making a come back?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Red Hat making a come back?

I just seen this on W3Schools:

As far as I knew RH had gone the way of the dinosaurs years ago after being popular for years. Now it looks like it's coming back again!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES 6
Waldo
Grafter

Re: Red Hat making a come back?

The original Red Hat distro was dropped in favour of Red Hat Enterprise Linux when Red Hat Inc. decided to make a a fistful of dollars .
These days Red Hat Inc. is the sponsor of the Fedora Project
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Red Hat is now a commercial firm. They produce the Fedora free distro. They make money the same way that Oracle do, by licensing the OS.
PLan
Grafter

Quote from: 7up

As far as I knew RH had gone the way of the dinosaurs years ago after being popular for years. Now it looks like it's coming back again!

Have you been living in a cave in Outer Mongolia? Here is a recent list of top kernel contributors. Of course Red Hat are outliers(they decided to make money) in the Linux community who are generally too busy wasting their time with a gazillion different distros that often just replicate each other for the most part.  Roll_eyes
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

No I just don't use linux a lot ok? - Here, have some rolling eyes back at ya!  Roll_eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

Like many others my first Linux installation was Red Hat back in 18th century  Crazy
avatastic
Grafter

RHEL (pronounced awwww hell) is preferred by software vendors as there is paid-for support from RH. We've got a few RHEL servers around here, (when we can't get away with using gentoo).
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)