cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recover using 32bit or 64bit - help please I am confused!!!

bubbalicious
Grafter

Recover using 32bit or 64bit - help please I am confused!!!

With m :-\y new toshiba laptop( running windows 7 home prem) was included recovery disk that is 32bit. However when the toshiba installed recovery media creater wanted me to create my own disks it made them in 64bit!
I had to recover my system to rectify some security software issues, Toshiba told me to do it using the 64bit disks i made. When i then went to reinstall my security software it came up saying that my system is 64bit, my security version is 32bit.  I have found the 64bit version to download and install but i am a little confused as to what the difference is? I also noticed i have 2 versions of Internet explorer – internet explorer and internet explorer 64bit!
Will i have any problems with installing my other programs
Before i go ahead and spend all that time reinstalling all my programs etc, i wanted to be sure that the 64bit win7 will be the right one or if i should recover again using the 32bit! Will i have any issues installing any of my programs (how will I know if they are 32bit or 64bit?)
Of course thought of you lovely peeps who are always so kind and generous helping me out of these situations I get myself into!! Crazy
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Recover using 32bit or 64bit - help please I am confused!!!

Stay with 64 bit - the odds are that your laptop has 4GB of RAM and possibly graphics card memory in addition.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Thanks Oldjim, 64bit it is! Cheesy
As always your advice is much appreciated.
Just when  I think I am getting an understanding of computers, something else appears that makes me realise just how much I don't understand!
I wish that I could be able to give help instead of always having to take help. Crazy
Cheers
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

If you use IE as your browser you may need to use the 32-bit version (which works fine on a 64-bit OS) as there are some add-ins not yet available for 64-bit browsers.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Re the earlier post about my laptop probably having 4GB RAM, it seems it doesn't  -  the specs for the Toshiba Satellite L500-1XC say 2GB RAM. I have checked the Toshiba product page and it actually shows
System Memory standard : 2,048 MB
                                                maximum expandability : 8,192 MB
                                                technology : DDR3 RAM (1,066 MHz)
Is this going to mean I should then use the 32bit recovery - I've read around the Internet and am I understanding it correctly that if I don'y have enough RAM for 64bit installation I shoudl install the 32bit!  if not i should 'buy some more RAM'.
then today my My brother - in - law told me that running the 64bit will run my battery down quicker than the 32bit and is less 'power friendly'. I have looked on the internet for anything that supports this but am coming up without anythingevidence either way?
If I am okay to stay with the 64Bit,  I will make sure I use the 32bit internet explorer
Sorry to ask for more help  again, I have a habit of reading all I can find on these things and then I frazzle my brain completely and don't trust I have understood it properly. With a new laptop I am desperate to make the right choices!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

My impression is that the majority of Windows 7 computers are being sold with the 64 bit version installed.  I imagine by the time the next version of Windows is released there won't be the option of a 32 bit version.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mine too. Every OEM W7 I've seen so far is x64.
Denzil
Grafter

A 64 bit OS doesn't offer many advantages unless you want use 4GB + of RAM, but at least if you have it you have the option to install more if you wish.
I can't see that 64 bit will have any noticeable difference on the power consumption. Using twice as many bits doesn't mean using twice the power!
In general, 32 bit applications will work fine on a 64 bit OS. If you get the choice when installing something new, then go for 64 bit, otherwise, the 32 bit version will be fine. You will notice that your C: drive has two Program Files folders. Program Files is where the 64 bit apps are put, and Program Files (x86) is for the 32 bit ones. Installers will take care of that automatically, so no need to worry.
johpal
Grafter

My wife's new laptop has W7 64-bit. It runs all her software quite well. However, be careful if you need to connect any "legacy" (older) peripherals! My Canon flatbed scanner (F5500) doesn't work with the 64-bit system and I can find no suitable drivers. I still use 32-bit XP on my own system.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Mine too. Every OEM W7 I've seen so far is x64.

Same here until today.
Was passing PCWorld & needed a cable in a hurry, so convenience won out over common sense.
Because I need a new laptop shortly, I thought I'd have a look at a few 'in the flesh' so to speak.
I was offered a 64 bit processor with Win 7 Business 32bit installed. 4 GB Ram. If I wanted 64 bit Win 7, I had to pay for & install an upgrade. £100 I think he said - I'd pretty much stopped listening by then.
I can see the point in offering a business machine with 32bit installed by default - quite a lot of business oriented software is still 32bit only - but not to supply a 64bit OS as a no-cost option on a 64 bit processor machine seems a little odd to say the least.