Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording TV programs online

evie
Grafter

Recording TV programs online

Hi all,
Now that I've thrown out my trusted VHS, I can't record stuff from the tele. Can you record tv programs on the internet, if so how?
thanks
30 REPLIES 30
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Recording TV programs online

Hi Evie
This probably does not answer your query, but I hope it is useful advice nonetheless.
If you really want to use your PC as a TV recording device, there are two options
You can either use BBC iPlayer, 4OD and the like, but this does not allow you access to all the broadcast channels. Quality of recording may not be great, and you will find you quickly use up your bandwidth allowance unless you schedule overnight downloads.
Or, if you have good signal strength you can buy a Digital TV USB tuner. These cost as little as £20, but if you spend a bit more you would probably get better quality.
In both cases you will have to have your PC switched on, and have a decent sized hard disk (160GB). and unless you spend time fiddling around creating disks that you can watch on a DVD player (assuming you have one) you would have to watch your recordings on your PC.
However, if you can receive digital broadcasts than it would be much simpler to buy a Personal Video Recorder (PVR), sometimes called a hard disk recorder. This works the same as a VHS except the recordings are digitally stored on a hard drive within the unit itself, so you won't need tapes or disks. If you do go down this route I would recommend this product
http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/pvr-9200t.asp
There are cheaper makes/models available, but this one has good reviews, two tuners which allow you to record from different channels simultaneously, a series record option so that you never miss a recording of something you watch regularly, and a USB port so you can download to a PC and create hard copy DVDs. The model available in high street/retail park outlets has a 160GB hard drive and costs around £180, you might be able to shop around and get one cheaper on-line, but I would go for the 320GB model which is only £20 more direct from Humax. It's on my wish list.
This is probably a biased response to your query, others may have different views and may either agree with me or not.
PS I don't work for Humax.
PPS What else will you do with the space where the VHS used to be?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
evie
Grafter

Hey Maranello
thanks a lot, gosh, it sounds quite a job. Is there no easier way to record programs on the internet. I mean like an easily downloadable program, you know like the ones that allow you to record youtube videos and the like....preferably free Tongue
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hi Evie,
Unfortunately I have no experience of downloading video images and the like via a PC, hopefully someone else can advise.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Following maranello's posts.
If you want to find out more about Freeview or Freesat (there are two kinds of freesat) this topic will give you leads to a lot of information.
http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=6141.msg77786#new
The first link covers quite a bit about the alternatives. You will need to have a good read, if you have the time.
This link will allow you to find how to join it all up,
http://www.dtg.org.uk/consumer/connection_wizard.html

I use freeview and find it very good. I use PVR's of different kinds (a bit like toys for boys) and am very satisfied.
All of this from freeview and freesat is what it says on the tin. It's free (apart from buying the kit of course).
Comments etc and recommendations can be obtained from Which, http://www.which.co.uk/
If you need any more information please ask.
godsell4
Rising Star

Not the cheapest, but a Sony RDR-HXD870 is a good piece of equipment, single digital tuner, 160GB Hard Disk and copies to DVD for storage.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
evie
Grafter

Hey thanks for all of the replies. But is there no cheaper alternative. I know you can record radio on your pc via progs such as audacity. Is there no parallel for tv programs? I'm not looking to spend a fortune, it's only tv Smiley
evie
Grafter

I should ammend that and say, I'm not looking to spend anything  Wink ie a free prog I can download from the internet would do well... Smiley
johpal
Grafter

Are any of the programmes you want to watch available as 'podcasts' (ie a file you download to your computer), instead of 'streaming' (watching it as it arrives)?
itsme
Grafter

If you are not interested in using iplayer or 4oD then your only option is a TV tuner card. When I brought my PC it had a tuner card fitted and Windows XP media edition installed. So I can use my pc to watch and record all analog and digital channels.
evie
Grafter

hey johpal and itsme,
The problem with iplayer is you only have a record of the program for 30 days. What's your tv tuner card called, itsme? I just searched for those words and it came up with nothing.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Just a point to remember about TV tuner card and PC`s....
You still need to have a TV licence to receive, using your PC...... (it`s not a "workaround" for the box in the corner) and not having a TV licence because "I don`t have a TV" (I use my computer)  is not acceptable !.
@evie, I expect you have a TV licence, but some who read these forums may think this would save them the expense!
evie
Grafter

Hi,
I found this add on for firefox called download helper which allows you to record youtube videos and the like- is there an addon/program which is similar which allow me to record video fom tv channels that aren't necessarily UK or US based.
thanks
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

not legally, no  Roll_eyes
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'