Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recordable DVD's

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Recordable DVD's

If you purchase branded recordable DVD's from the same place and they are ok then you would expect further purchases to meet the same standards, despite having the same label they could have been made by any number of companies,
http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
Surely this is misleading ?
It has also been suggested that recordable DVD's can lose data after 5 or 6 years even if they have not been used, is that correct ? and what's the best medium to store important data on ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Recordable DVD's

That is why I always buy Taiyo Yuden disks from https://www.svp.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=taiyo+yuden+dvd
https://www.svp.co.uk/taiyo-yuden-professional-16x-dvd-r-full-face-printable-pack-of-284.html
PLEASE NOTE In 2008, JVC and Taiyo Yuden announced a new joint venture. This led to the creation of a new brand, combinding the JVC name, and Taiyo Yuden's world-renowned Japan Made media. The new brand is JVC Advanced Media, and during 2010, all Taiyo Yuden Professional media will be rebranded to JVC for Professional Use. During the transition phase, some stock will bear the new branding wrap, and some will not. Please do not be alarmed, we only sell genuine Taiyo Yuden media.
Noter that the Mediastar ones aeren't Taiyo Yuden manufacture but just using the Taiyo Yuden dye so definitely not the same
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks for the link, will be investing in some of those.
Smiley
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I suppose the other side of the coin is I always use TDK DVD+R 16x in packs of 25 from ebay for less than a fiver delivered.
Never had any real problems out of the couple of dozen packs that I've used.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

I  always used Verbatim without any problems apart from the last pack that had a number of duff ones, if you look at feedback on Amazon for all disks there are a small number of regular users of a specific make who normally have had no problems until their most recent purchase and looking further into this the link I provided probably explains why they are having such problems so you might get lucky and never have any problems but the question is how valuable is your recorded data to you ?
jim:quote
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I did have some problems with +R's & RW's but I worked out the problem wasn't the disks.
My main PC is in an unheated room. So in winter just turning on the PC and burning disks never worked as often there was a problem with the first one.
As long as I surf a bit, so things warm up, it's fine.

"how valuable is your recorded data to you ?"
If it's really valuable I make backups of backups or multiple backups if you like.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Currently have a spindle pack of Verbatim DVDs and a spindle pack of TDK CDs.
I don't have a preferred brand and buy on price as long as they are one of the more well known names.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav
Fixes: 514

I have some unbranded printable DVDs that were burnt up to 12 years or more ago. Some still work without issue and some don't. It's the same story with the branded ones.
I no longer burn anything to DVD and only burn mp3 CD's for the car.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still