cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended minimum power supply for AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.6 Black Edition?

seanbranagh
Grafter

Recommended minimum power supply for AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.6 Black Edition?

As the title says. I am upgrading my main machine over the next few weeks. This is the processor I am buying.
The machine will also have 2 SATA HDD's (although this will be upgraded to 4 in time) and 2 optical drives. I know I need to upgrade from my current 400 Watt supply but I am not wanting to spend money on something completely over the top like a 1Kw supply.
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Recommended minimum power supply for AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.6 Black Edition?

What about graphics card(s) crossfire? as that could be as big a demand as the CPU
seanbranagh
Grafter

Re: Recommended minimum power supply for AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.6 Black Edition?

Sorry, should have included that. I will just be using the onboard graphics on probably a Gforce 8200 board but I also have an FX 5200 PCI card that I use for a second monitor.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I noticed a 650Watt supply from a local supplier for £52. Big enough?
artificer
Grafter

should be plenty.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

650Watts?... Imagine having several of those running 24/7. Sean I'd hate to have your electricity bill... I thought I was bad with a few 300Watt PSUs lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
seanbranagh
Grafter

Ha, Ha. The rating on a power supply is the maximum it can supply. Computers never use anywhere near that amount. My two servers both have 400Watt supplies. Between them they have 9 hard disks. Aswell as this there is the 3Kva UPS which draws 50Watts continously maintaining the batteries. There is also 2 switches, 2 access points, a router and this laptop which I am currently using in the absence of a desktop machine. Looking up at the power meter on the wall (as pictured on my site) I am currently drawing a total of only 273 Watts!
Energy saving bulbs in Asda. £38 bought enough for the whole house. Thats how I justify it Grin
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Sean
As the title says. I am upgrading my main machine over the next few weeks. This is the processor I am buying.
The machine will also have 2 SATA HDD's (although this will be upgraded to 4 in time) and 2 optical drives. I know I need to upgrade from my current 400 Watt supply but I am not wanting to spend money on something completely over the top like a 1Kw supply.

Disks use very little power (relatively) - especially if you can start them sequentially, not simultaneously.
Will you be using all those cores flat out (simultaneously)?
Do you have a big fat video card?
Don't forget to include some big fans.
Remember that switched power supplies will only use as much power as is required - although
a big PSU can maintain rail voltages better than a small PSU.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

seanbranagh
Grafter

What would happen if I was to try my current 400Watt supply and it was not enough? What if anything would get damaged?
Maybe I should just try the 400 Watt supply in it when I buy the board. I could stick the power meter on it and give it something complicated to do to see if I need to upgrade?
artificer
Grafter

the 650watt gives you the spare capacity to make you feel secure that the kit won't fall over from lack of power.  if you can afford it, go for it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

With the rig you will putting in the 12v rail is the critical item.
I used this one with great success Scan Corsair
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

600W is plenty .. altho stick to a known make dont buy a cheapy 600 w .. which will prob only push out 200w Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Why was this 4 year old thread resurrected  Shocked Shocked
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

er .. i had no idea lol
pnf
Grafter